Amazing New Procedure For Windshield Drill

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Sneck

Amazing New Procedure For Windshield Drill

Post by Sneck »

In a freak accident today, I received a wicked metal sliver in my finger nail. This wicked metalic sliver went through my fingernail and imbedded itself into the meat under my nail. The metal sliver broke off below the surface of my finger nail. (Let's just say that YES!, it hurt like you know what!)

After 30 minutes of my wife using a needle and file to work at removing the sliver, it was basically decided that it was impossible to get to. She was convinced that I would have to go to minor emergency and have them remove it. She was afraid of me getting a nasty infection.

I prefer to save money wherever I can, so I took matters into my own hands and retreived my windshield drill from my kit and began gently drilling my nail around the metal sliver in such a way as to "rough-up" the area around the sliver. (I did not go too deep).

As I was drilling, a small piece of my nail chipped off exposing the metal sliver and at that very instant the spinning drill-bit slipped over and touched the metal sliver - grabbing it and thrusting the metal sliver upward. YES!!!!! I was now able to remove it with a pair of tweesers.

All better now.

And yet,... I wonder If my work is really done. I wonder if I should put a drop of pit resin over the hole and cure it?

No... I better not. Maybe just a little peroxide will be enough. I don't want to poison myself with resin!

Do not try this procedure yourself unless you are a qualified windshield repair technician!

Sneck
repare-brise

Re: Amazing New Procedure For Windshield Drill

Post by repare-brise »

Sneck

Just another proof that we are professionals and should be treated as such. We are used to working with presision tools and delicate proceedures. I hope you heal with speed and comfort. But your little accident is cause for WSR techs to be licenced, heck some of us even do surgury.......

Enjoy
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

Wow.. that is an amazing story... makes my knees weak just reading about it... I am such a wimp when it comes to stuff like that. But I must add a serious comment because of my husband's recent 8-week fight with a nasty staph infection (that we think was introduced into his spine via an injection prior to his knee surgery... in a supposedly sterile environment) ... I would have to say that no matter what intrument(s) you use to remove a foreign object, be sure that as much precaution as possible is taken both beforehand and after to prevent any chance of infection. Using peroxide was good... I hope it was enough.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

In a related news story, about 2 years ago I shut my van door on my thumb. Yeah, pure genius, huh?

It turned purple, swelled up, and hurt pretty bad of course. So I used my drill with a fresh bit, to drill a hole through the top of the nail to relieve the pressure.

It always sounds bad... but it works great. And the drill works a lot better than the doctor digging a hole with a stupid scalpal.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

I bet you are careful where your fingers are now, before shutting the door, eh?
johnnyone
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by johnnyone »

Sneck
Ow thats sounds like PAIN, glad to here you got it out. We do have to be careful when we are working around Glass, have had a piece of glass almost hit my eye.
Bullseye WSR
a1repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by a1repair »

Greetings Sneck
Congrats on performing your own minor surgery! I just hope you used a new drill bit.
[FONT=Arial]A-1[/FONT] Windshield & Vinyl Repair
We get the monkey off your back! Since 1984