Looking For Best Repair System (Equipment)

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Wyckoff Kinsey

Looking For Best Repair System (Equipment)

Post by Wyckoff Kinsey »

We are a moderate size start-up company and we are looking to purchase the best equipment and Resins on the market. Please Fell free to send any and all comments. We look forward to your responses.
sunshine wr

Re: Looking For Best Repair System (Equipment)

Post by sunshine wr »

I'm staying away from this 1 !
GlasWeldTech
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlasWeldTech »

I will start this one off. I use Glas Weld equipment and glas weld and Gt resins. Are they the best? Is chevy better than Ford? I think so!! Are they the best for you? Only after lots of research and trial and error can you answer that.

This is a loaded question. Ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different answers. Is Glas Weld the cheapest? Not hardly. Would Delta or Gt or Glass Mechanix have been a better choice? Good question.

I did lots of reading and asking questions and then made my mind up. I wasn't aware of this forum years ago or maybe I would have tried another. What is best for me may or maynot be the best for you.

This is another he said she said question. Everyone will tell you what they use is the best out there bar NONE.Do your homework and then decide what is best for you.
GlasWeldTech
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Almost forgot!!! THis is going to get good.Lots of good techs here and lots of good answers along with a couple of good moderators.ENJOY!!!
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

I use, Delta, GT, Liquid Resins and Glass Mechanix products all at the same time in my little operation. I use Delta Resin and some GT.

What I will say is that I have bought 1 complete delta kit in addition to the thousands I have spent and not ONE measly tool in the box can be upgraded to something of higher quality. The delta kit is excellent and worth every penny. The bridge and injector engineering design make me wonder if it was divinely inspired! It works radically different than any other injector and produces excellent results, even working by itself if you allow it.
code3wsr

Post by code3wsr »

I also use Glas Weld and am very happy with it. I only use Glas Weld resins but that is because I have not had a reason to look for any others. I am happy with my results so I havent had to "shop around" for other resins.

I can tell you that Glas Weld works by removing the air from the break first then injecting resin into the "void". Most other tools inject resin first then pull the trapped air out through the resin. Does it matter which way you do it?? I dont know . But I know that it makes sense to me to remove air first.

I am sure that the delta folks have sientific data showing that it doesn't matter which you do first, and thats ok, I just went with what made sense to me. Even though Glas Weld IS more expensive.

Having said all that I certinaly dont think Delta or any of the other " big guys" have bad products. If they did they wouldnt be in business very long.

I hope some of this helps. :)
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

The choice is not which is better it is more which makes more sense. If you can look at quality and surmise that more than one system will do the job and last a long time with a lifetime warranty, then it would come down to which system is ultimately easier to work with. Let me put my thoughts in order of importance when considering equipment:

1. Quality of finished repair
2. Quality and longevity of the tool itsself (warranty would be here too)
3. Ease of use
4. # of bridges that can be used at one time by a tech (effects the bottom line)

these top 4 are very hard to put in order of importance because they are all VERY important to your bottom line. If you tool is good quality and easy to use and you can tote around 20 at a time but they can't do a quality repair then the tool sucks. So the top 4 need to ALL be there before you decide to buy that system.

5. customer service
6. Price
7. Training offered and people who run the company need to have REAL experience in WSR
8. People OTHER than the proposed company who can vouch for the products long term.

Those are the order of criteria for determining what equipment should be used. Delta Kits is the company I chose some years back and they have fit every aspect of my list. If all 4 of the top items are the same with more than one company (which I don't think they are but for arguments sake let's assume they are) then there is NO other company who rivals Delta in the bottom 4 of the list. Brent, the owner of Delta, ran a windshield company for years and actually knows what it is about ... another company I know of the owner has an accounting background with no WSR experience. i also want to point out #4 ... I have, in the past, used up to 7 bridges at a time when doing fleets and it has dramatically increased my profits by allowing me to finish my jobs even hours earlier than I might have otherwise. Now I could do that for 3 reasons, first the equipment is compact enough where I could carry 7 at a time on my toolbelt, second they require very little attendance while operating, third they were inexpensive enough where I could actually afford to pay for them. I can't say those 3 things for ANY OTHER company in the industry. Based on that reason alone I say that there is no competition as far as suppliers go ... if you want maximum profits you need equipment that will allow you to go down that road and do it affordably. I don't work for Delta and I have no reason for saying this other than I have been doing this a while and have purchased a couple hundred or more Delta Bridges and my findings stand true each and everytime. I am no longer in the biz so they can't even send me free stuff for talking good about them .. not that they would anyhow (GRRRR) but in case you thought I would be getting some kickback for a promo it is not the case.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

Having good equipment is only half the picture. Once you have acquired the kit you want, then you have to learn how to use it properly, and practice until it is second nature to you. Then, knowing how to use the equipment is not the end of it either. You also need to be trained what a finished repair looks like, how to know if the finished repair is truly finished, and done correctly. Now, if you have plans to be the boss and delegate the work to others, you still have to know all these things, in order to be able to supervise effectively. Dont let this get you discouraged. Windshield repair is not difficult or complicated. Once you learn the basics, the rest falls into place fairly easily. I wish you much success in this business.