Drill Bits

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
sunshine wr

Re: Drill Bits

Post by sunshine wr »

I'm still new at this (full time for 3 years). I might use 10 bits in a year.
GlassMan SGC

Post by GlassMan SGC »

are you letting the drill bit do the work or are you pressing it down & overworking the bit? When I was new to this, I would get impatient & force it instead of letting the drill do the work. That will eat through the bits quick.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nomad »

I use brasslers bit number 700-010 carbide, shank no. 31. Very small bit. Tapered slightly so have to move drill in circle to prevent jaming and breaking. Used to use a lot of bits but now use few, as has been said, let the drill do the work. I don't use any lube and don't worry about heat. When bit is dull I use a small needle nose pliers to snap off the very smallest part of the tip I can and I have a new end that sometimes is sharper than and drills better and faster than a new bit. I can do this maybe three times before the carbide tip gets too short and runs out.

I suggested this once before and before anyone makes any smart put downs, yes, I asked my dentist about this and he said he does this all the time in the lab.

This won't work with all bits, but it does with this one and this technique makes these bits lasts a long time.

The ball end type bits need to be cooled, they heat up extremely quickly. I don't use them.

Gene
cwrepair

Post by cwrepair »

screenman, I can see how this would be confusing to you when you haven't practiced this method very much and are used to dry drilling. If you could pm me your address Iwill as soon as i get a chance send you a video of me drilling with resin (lubricant) and you can see for your self how fast my method of resin lube drilling is. You could put someone next to me dry drilling with short bursts and they might be finished before I am but I will only be a few seconds behind them in finishing. Are you in europe ? If so still give me you address and I will send you the video. Thanks Chris
windshield

Post by windshield »

i use ultra sonic cleaner for my drill bits with sucess.its works.i use the drill bits over and over again.
suzuki

Post by suzuki »

dragwurm wrote:glacier i wish i could help you on this one but i no longer drill my repairs so no drill hole for me
and what do you do when you have to insert resin on a break if you no longer drill.
toab

Post by toab »

how in thr heck are some of these techs doing all repairs without drilling.. especially little tight stars??My gosh I guess I've got lots of learning ahead of me.
CV Windshield Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

I think some repair techs are a little apprehensive to drill because of the potential for further spreading of the break and possibly they were trained not to drill. There are certain breaks that must be drilled in order to fill completely. Your drill can be your best tool if used properly and you get comfortable drilling. A repair that should be drilled but is not will take twice as long to complete and will not look as good.
toab

Post by toab »

I agree with CV. this is the reality of windshield repair period but I am always open to see somebody elses ideas.
suzuki

Post by suzuki »

toab wrote:how in thr heck are some of these techs doing all repairs without drilling.. especially little tight stars??My gosh I guess I've got lots of learning ahead of me.
i agree with you