What is the best Repair kit ?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
glassfix

What is the best Repair kit ?

Post by glassfix »

Hello all,

First of all, English is not my native language, I hope you understand it.

I have been doing WSR for about 5 years now and have worked with several systems.
One of the most common WSR system here is the Duobond.
I also have a system from glassperfect and other systems.

As we know, all systems works the same, vacuum and inject resin with some heating if necessary.
Some work better than the other because it has more vacuum or more pressure.
But with all systems that I have worked, I never repair as nice as some other company's do.

Sometimes a customer comes to me and is pointing me his damage to his windscreen, I look and I only see the small pit so i tell the customer that this is only a small pit so it won't crack.
But then I look better and see that it was a huge star from about 8cm (3,14")
You only can see some very tiny hair cracks, so very thin ! really amazing !
You really wouldn't see it, even when it is in sight when you drive the car.

Now I wonder who has repaired this crack and with what system.

Ofcourse we will never find out who has repaired this specific crack, but maybe that some people here know more about this very good WSR system.
Or maybe some can advise me a better WSR system than I have now.

Thank you.
mafsu

Re: What is the best Repair kit ?

Post by mafsu »

Some systems are easier to work with than others. Some such as Delta's lessen the learning curve to doing a quality repair(and are easy to work with). However I think the repairs you are seeing are the result of a more experienced perhaps better trained tech than yourself and not necessarily the result of the system that was used. I think you would be better off looking for some additional training(no offense intended) rather than new equipment. I don't have any experience with Duobond, but I went to their website and it appears their equipment would be satisfactory to do a quality repair. Where are you located? That might help someone give you advice on where to get training. I believe Delta is still offering free training.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

There really is no magic system more likely a magic technician most systems work on the same principal buy from someone you trust and who gives the service you require Delta would be an obvios choice in that catagory. If you work your tools and give the injector time to do its job you get the mystery repair. Of course resin is important as well. I find most bad repairs or poor repairs come from trying to move too fast and cycle too little take your time and give a couple more cycles than you think are needed. Result is those great repairs.
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

Good point about the resin. Get resin from as many suppliers as possible(most will send you a free sample, depending on your location). A good quality resin can make a world of difference in your repairs.
dkjeep88
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by dkjeep88 »

The quality of the resin does make a huge difference. For future reference (I came across this forum years later, I know), but definitely look at the resin from pro kits if you're going to do DIY repairs. You can get supplies from sites that are used by professionals and you can really see the difference in the seal compared to cheap products. It's also a huge plus when companies stand by their products and have a lifetime warranty.
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

Delta all the way for me, the equipment is simple to use, their people are second to none when it comes to willingness to assist. The training that they provide, along with practice, practice, practice, allows you to be as good as you want to be. I have found that with many of the difficult repairs Patience is a Key to being effective.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

As I read this old post from glassfix it was very obvious why he was not getting "as nice of repairs as other companies". His line about how "all systems work the same, vacuum and inject resin with some heating" says it all. You cannot use heat to make a break fill. I don't know if glassfix is still around but maybe this will help someone else who thinks they need to heat to fill. I see poor repairs every day and it bothers me that there are still so many "professional repair techs" out there that can't do a decent repair. If you're having trouble getting good quality repairs, ask for help. I wonder why no one said anything back in 2005 when this was posted.
Jtmac

Post by Jtmac »

In thousands of repairs, I've never once used heat directly on a break. Only to warm the windshield. It seems counterproductive to me as the glass will expand and the break will close. Maybe my thinking is wrong, but I've never had the need to even try it. I could understand heating the resin to lower it's viscosity....that makes sense.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

The only time I use heat is sometimes on a large daisy break there is a void that won't fill, heating sometimes helps this but you have to wait for it to cool to see if it worked or not. Extremely rarely a bullseye will have a spot or a void along the edge that just won't go away, and adding heat will help this. Sometimes not. Never on any other chips except maybe a horseshoe break but most of the time these are easy to fill. It's just another trick you can use in a rare situation. I was taught to use heat so this is something I had to learn the hard way. I use heat for drying out chips though.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Nomad, in testing we have found a damage heated can stay shut for over 24 hours without the use of the heat exchanger, I showed this too a couple of seasoned techs only last week, they were shocked.