Moral Question about price & service

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Moral Question about price & service

Post by Delta Kits »

Wright Fix,

This car wash thing can be a slippery slope. So, let's make sure it doesn't turn in to bash the car wash guys. I know you weren't doing that, but this forum has been down that road before.

Yellow resin is caused by substandard resin, contaminates, or both. The combination of lots of air pockets, cracks, and no pit filler would make me think whoever did the repair is trying to do them as fast as possible, and possibly left moisture which later evaporated.

There are many car wash technicians who do great repairs. Many who do bad repairs. Just like mobile guys, just like glass shops, etc.
Delta Kits, Inc.
Wright Fix

Post by Wright Fix »

Didn't mean to start down the slippery slope. I am extra curious because I have an opportunity to work out of or place several employees at a carwash in my area. However, noticing some of these repairs I have been reluctant.

Now I think I read several pit falls.

1. Don't cut corners and spend the time to do a good repair.
2. Make sure any moisture or detergent is removed from the repair if it has just come through the wash.
3. Don't bash the carwash guys.

Thanks,
Heath
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

Wright Fix wrote:3. Don't bash the carwash guys.
I guess that should be don't bash anyone! Seems there are those who don't think good repairs can be done at locations other than where they are.

Glass shops don't like mobile guys, mobile guys don't like tent guys, tent guys don't like car wash guys, etc...Not always, of course.

Locations make no difference, quality of the repair does.

Setting up at car washes in NM can be VERY lucrative. Make sure to do the repair prior to the car going through the wash (much preferred), or at least put a chip saver over the damage prior, and repair after. Take the time, do the repair right, and you can do VERY well at a car wash.
Delta Kits, Inc.
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Car wash locations can be good business if done with caution. Here are a few tips I have learned along the way.

-Always repair prior to the wash(it gives a better repair, and you can sell the customer on the fact that his break may expand once it gets hit by the cold water(or hot water in winter).

-If the break is contaminated, but repairable, make an appointment to go do the repair at a later date at the customers convieniance.

-If you have an established name and customer base, identify yourself and bill the customers directly(pay-back a percentage to the car-wash), it will furthur enhance your reputation and spread your name(we have posters in garages, dealers and car washes that promote our company , but state that the service is available here).

-Make sure that the car wash knows that quality comes before quantity.

Enjoy
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

Hi wrightfix I believe the yellow is pit filler which means its an old repair
if it was wet it will usually turn white i guess whoever did the repair
didnt carry it to completion i see that a lot
CPR

Post by CPR »

This is what I do, start the new break, work on the other one while you are waiting for the first one to progress. Then if you can make the second break look good, charge for it, if not you gained additional exprerence on the house.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Also the oranges dont like the apples and of course the red apples think they are so much better than the green ones and dont get me started about those damn pears
QUALITY REPAIRS CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE AND BAD ONES AS WELL
Wright Fix

Post by Wright Fix »

GlassStarz

You are very confused and frankly I find it unacceptable that you do not know give pears the respect they deserve. This is an equal opportunity fruit house and you clearly are a vegetable.

Please see a food processor near you.

Sorry couldn't resist
Heath

I think this is the slippery slope we were speaking of.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

I often do re-dos, after determining if they can, indeed be done, or even need to be done. Some old repairs look nasty but are good repairs just the same, and I tell the customer this. When one does need to be redone, I explain to the customer the process I have to go through and tell him that because its someone else's bad work, I will not guarantee or be responsible for the outcome. If s/he still wants it done (I secretly always hope they dont), then I work on it.
First thing I do is drill and tap into the damage in a spot that appears to not have resin in it. I tap in from several angles, to break into the unfilled legs of the old repair. Then set up and repair as usual.
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

Gold Star a question about drilling in at several angles.
I worked a R.V. rally in LA last year with another Glas-Weld tech that mentioned a truly fantastic lady tech in Fl. that drills in at an angle. I've never tried to do that, I guess afraid my .014 burr might skip even making a spot with scribe, and also not getting my smaller point in at the same angle, then tapping. Worried about chipping glass around the hole. Any advice?
Chips Away's 40' Monaco Exec. ,'05 Honda CR-V,
Channel 13 Graybeard