Resin won\'t flow...

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
mafsu

Re: resin won't flow

Post by mafsu »

Apply pressure directly above or on the leg as close to the injector as possible. The point is to open the base of the leg up thereby allowing more access for the resin to flow in. Use slight pressure at first and increase steadily until you see the leg open up and resin begin to flow. It will help to see it if you put your face as close to the glass as possible and look at the leg from the side instead of looking down at it. You do run the risk of making the leg longer, just be careful. After you have done this a few times you will develop a sense of feel for how much pressure to apply. If the leg grows a little don't give up, sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better. Good luck and keep practicing.
omega

Re: Where's everybody from?

Post by omega »

So once the crack fills with resin is it supposed disappear or does it just become less visible?
sunshine wr

What a good idea!

Post by sunshine wr »

not many repairs of any type ''disappear'' , but should improve in appearance 80%to 95% :)
cure4glass

Post by cure4glass »

On a Starbreak,I will usually drill the center where the legs come together, careful not to drill to the laminate.Then I take a sewing needle and pop a mini bullseye.This will usually make sure all legs are joined at the center.make sure you are not applying to much pressure with your injector.Then use a probe and apply pressure to each leg , careful not to over apply( In time You'll develop a "feel " for how hard to press in certain conditions)While applying pressure to the legs, watch the legs toward the center and you should start to see them fill.Do one at a time until you have them all starting to fill.I will often use several vacuum / pressure cycles during this. I believe the main thing for all repairs is plenty of patience. Good luck!
ChipTechsWSR

Any Ins. Companies Raise Rates on WSR?

Post by ChipTechsWSR »

Like you, I was going crazy with star breaks and legs not filling. Putting pressure on with a probe and from the inside, heating, all did not work. I was using a Delta Kit injector. The training material provided said to turn the injector one revolution just after the seal touches the glass which is what I was doing. Then, on the legs I tried the suggestion of less pressure. I just put enough pressure on so the resin would not leak out and that was it. Voila! I now do not have any problems with filling.
opey71

Post by opey71 »

I had to learn what was actually a fill and what was not by attending the Delta Kits class. I thought my breaks were not filling but in reality they were. I had expected the cracks to disappear but they do not always do so. I spent a day in Eugene and left feeling 100% better about the repairs I was doing. I bet this is the situation a lot of you are having as well. If you have little to no glass repair experience I recommend that you find someone that does or attend the training to tell the difference in filled and unfilled cracks. Worth it in just the time saved on doing practice repairs over and over thinking I was doing something wrong. Hope this helps.

Luke
Coastal Windshield Repair
omega

Re: Insurance List

Post by omega »

Jeff when is the next class?
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Delta Kits »

Next two training classes are September 5th and 15th...

Give me a call if anyone wants to sign up!

Delta Kits, Inc.
sallyu

Post by sallyu »

opey71 wrote:I had to learn what was actually a fill and what was not by attending the Delta Kits class. Luke
Coastal Windshield Repair

Hi Luke,

I hope that I am able to get a response since this is a fairly old post, and I don't see you on the forum much.

What is the answer to the problem above? What is the criteria for telling if the crack is filled or not, short of attending the class?

Thanking you in advance,
Sally
mafsu

Resin Jammed Delta Kits Injector Pistons

Post by mafsu »

When working with new techs, the most common error I see in regards to knowing if a crack is filling or not is:

you have to look at the crack from the side(not straight down at it) to see what is going on. Put your head down next to the glass, about 12 inches away from the damage and you will get a much better view of what is going on in there. This is espescially helpful when flexing the legs on a star.