What do you think of flat rate insurance referals?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
splitpit

Re: What do you think of flat rate insurance referals?

Post by splitpit »

In other word's, in the business world, good guys don't always finish last.
Glassdoc
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glassdoc »

And yet, you charge the same price that the guys that do half arse, crappy repairs.. What seperates your repairs from theirs? Your reputation? People shop price and quality.. The old saying that has been around longer than you, you father, and his father goes like this: "You get what you pay for".. If a customer has an $1100 car then he probably does not care what the repair looks like for $45.. However the customer in the newer Chevrolet that they struggled to purchase or the owner of the $70,000 BMW will pay what ever it takes to keep the car pristine.. Imagine the 30 year old, leaky hose carwash for 4 quarters, or the newer, clean carwash, well maintained that costs $4.00. Which one would you spend your money with? Exactly.. The old wash will probably clean your vehicle but at what cost and will it even work once your money is inserted? People of all races do not always take the cheap way out.. You can buy day old bread for 30 cents a loaf at the outlet store, do you? Or do you shop at the grocery store and pay the $2.49 for the fresh loaf? The day old bread tastes just as good, but you "think" you are getting a better deal for the higher price. Hmmm, quite a concept isn't it? Pay more and feel good about it..
splitpit

Post by splitpit »

There you go again! Thank you for proving my point, especially since you have no idea what I charge! Do you always make assumptions of other people without knowing the facts? Is that how you convince yourself that you are better?

So you'll know....my regular epair rate is $55.00 first, $10.00 each additional.
I do fleets and dealers for $45.00 I do high quality repairs, regardless of the financial status of my customer or the value of his vehicle. They are all equal to me. They all deserve a high quality repair. So my customers, every one of them, whether it's the guy who can barely make ends meet or the guy living the life of luxury, THEY ALL GET WHAT THEY PAY FOR. A high quality repair at a reasonable rate.

That also applys to race. No discrimination here. Always the same. Always the best job. Always happy customers.

Quite a concept....pay a reasonable job for a job well done. Treat the customer with respect and don't assume that the guy in the Mercedes will pay regardless of price. Some of the tightest people walking this earth have the most money. They may be wealthy but they didn't get that way by overpaying for things throughout their lives.
splitpit

Post by splitpit »

And by the way, I increased my rates recently to offset fuel expense. I also let my loyal years of quality service to my fleets and dealers work for itself. Increased my rates and they all still wanted my service. But where I am priced at now is probably somewhere near the national average. I'm about $5.00 more expensive than my true competition and probably more than that in comparison with the car wash jockeys. For me, I'm right where I want to be. But I didn't build my business by being a blowhard.

So for each and every WSR tech. out there, all I can say is this. Let your personal experiences, your market area and your sense for what is reasonable and fair, be your guide. Get what you feel you deserve but don't get greedy. Treat your customers with respect and friendliness. If you do all that, you'll do great!

Use your head. No one else here has the right to tell you that your way is wrong. It's your way, not theirs, and that's all that matters.
tooldini

Post by tooldini »

Right on Splitpit :), and flat rate how in the world is that a bad thing. 1 out of 12 insurance referals are doubles and much less for triples. So for a single repair I am making $15.00 more than I am now and for doubles I am making $5.00 more the triples are were you would take a $5.00 loss, big flippin deal. So at that rate my insurance referral would be the same price as glasdoc's I AM WORTH IT $65.00( or $75.00 depending on which post you read ) retail fee. For cheaters out there that get a 1 chip referral and then look at the customers shield and point out 2 more small nicks that would never crack then call them in for 2 additional, this would suck. For use trustworthy and honest repair techs this is a pay increase. Several times a month I actually call lynx or Harmon and tell them that this customer really only has 1 chip instead of 2 or 3. So for me I am gonna dig this flatrate thing if it every happens. So maybe I am a street whore and glasdoc and blindsquirrel are call girls but we are all selling the same thing ;) just joking but you know what I am saying.

Jeff
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

Ok, lets put "our charges" aside and look at "flat rate". Flat rate pricing is not equal for all shops. And here is the "why".

Shop (A) uses Delta Kits resin @ $24 for 33ml bottle.
Shop (B) uses Esprit resin @ $72.25 for 20ml bottle.

Shop (A) can leave their shop and drive 10 miles in 15 minutes.
Shop (B) will spend 45 minutes in 5 lanes of traffic to go 10 miles.

Shop (A) can park in business parking lot within 45 feet of customers vehicle.
Shop (B) has to pay $7.00 for a parking spot and walk one to two blocks to get to owners vehicle.

Shop (A) will have a total of 30 minutes to an hour of time invested to do one repair, with mobile service, and be on the road going to the next job 20 minutes away.
Shop (B) will have closer to an hour and a half to get to and do the same repair, and be looking at another 40 minutes to an hour to get to the next job location.

Shop (A) pays $400 annually for vehicle insurance with no points, no tickets and no accidents.
Shop (B) pays $1400 annually for the same coverage with no tickets, no points, and no accidents.
"Where is the flat rate pricing now?"

Now explain to me why it is you think flat rate pricing is fair?
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

Glasdoc your trying to ride a dead horse..splitpit and tooldini are right ..everybody is different and every area has different prices..as far as ins work ..why not?..its all a piece of the pie..I'll take whatever they give me, make a new customer for later referalls and money direct deposit in my account..how easy is that?..$50.00 or $60.00 from ins is not all that bad....
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

splitpit;25973 wrote:There you go again! Thank you for proving my point, especially since you have no idea what I charge! Do you always make assumptions of other people without knowing the facts? Is that how you convince yourself that you are better?

So you'll know....my regular epair rate is $55.00 first, $10.00 each additional.
I do fleets and dealers for $45.00 I do high quality repairs, regardless of the financial status of my customer or the value of his vehicle. They are all equal to me. They all deserve a high quality repair. So my customers, every one of them, whether it's the guy who can barely make ends meet or the guy living the life of luxury, THEY ALL GET WHAT THEY PAY FOR. A high quality repair at a reasonable rate.
1. How many repairs do you average per day?

2. What do you charge for a single chip repair? (non-insurance)

3. What is your annual gross income from windshield repair?

4. What % of your repairs are insurance referals?

5. How long have you been in the windshield repair business?

6. Do you do reduced rate fleet and car lot business?

Here's mine.

1. 8
2. $49.95 first $10 each additional / $30.00 fleet up to 3
3. $85,000 to $90,000
4. 60%
5. 11 years
6. yes

Yep, I believe everything you post.. Thanks for making it very clear.
quote:
I also cover a fairly broad territory with my mobile service. About 150 miles out each direction from my base. As for the hours I choose to work, it depends on how busy I am and how much travel time is required. Some days I'm done in 6-8 hours but others might push 10-12. end quote

Just curious, if an Insurance company called and had a job for you 100 miles out from your base. How much profit do you think you would make at a flat rate fee, factoring in expenses and time?
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

What kind of tard would take a job 100 miles out his area? prob the same fool that didnt plan his day right so he was stuck in bumper2bumper traffic or isnt bright enough to avoid paying parking maybe the guy who is lame enough to pay $72 for a 20ml bottle of resin in the belief that it is somehow better and the same guy that plans his day so poorly that he has to drive 40 minutes to get to his next job.. Doc you stopped making sense several posts ago now that you have impressed everyone with you greatness can we move on to something constructive?
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

Sure, lets move on.. But just so you know.. The "tard" you refer to is none other than your hero "Splitpit". Thats his very own quote I posted. Thanks, for reassuring my beliefs.. As for planning the day right to miss bumper to bumper traffic, thats a no can do around a city with over 3 million commuters in traffic during every rush hour. And, if you knew anything about cities, you would know that permit parking is a very profit making revenue for the owners of any place to park. If you take your vehicle to the city, you will pay to park without worrying about the security of your vehicle, or walk a very long distance to get to where you were going and hope your vehicle is as you left it upon your return.