What is good money?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
S&W Glass Repair

What is good money?

Post by S&W Glass Repair »

Hello to all, been in the windshield repair business for 18 1/2 years. Just curious what guys think good money is. This is certainly a relative word. When I was 25 30k was good money, I'm 42 and my standards of living have certainly changed so 6 figures is now real good money. I have read some of the threads and issues and find it interesting that some guys are worried about others. As a former mechanic who has owned 3 garages since 1990 I have worked with other techs who were always worried about what others were doing and making instead of concentrating on their own work, I've read some of the threads and get the same feeling as I did from those techs. At 42I'm now successful but have had a failure or two along the way, primarily due to spreading myself too thin and not concentrating on one area. I now have an incredibly successful windshield repair business, specializing in fleet work. I have 6 units allowing me to repair six dings at a time and plan on purchasing 4more units for next year. I currently have 1 part time employee who has been with me for a little over two years. What is good money?

Scott
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What is good money?

Post by screenman »

I would say good money it what you need to maintain your comfort zone and a little more for rainy days. The comfort zone will vary from person to person. I like the way you do business it is my favoured way also although I do work with fewer bridges.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Well said Scott. There's no sense in getting all worked up over what your competitors are doing; there's nothing you can do about how they run their businesses anyway. I get a kick out of some of our competitors that spend more time on our website than I do, and then wonder why things aren't going so well in their own businesses. We just keep trying to do what is right, and somehow everything seems to work out for the best.

I try to stay involved with industry associations, offering support when I can and advice when it is requested, but have to be careful not to allow that involvement to take the focus of my own affairs.

There's always room for another good business operator, but the get rich quick guys will come and go with the wind. Six figures is darn good money for most people, and you are living proof that is obtainable for serious windshield repair technicians willing to devote the years of hard work that you have spent building your business. Unfortunately some people don't understand how hard you worked to get where you are today.

I also found that running multiple bridges at fleet accounts was the best way to maximize profits, at least for me. It's pretty exciting to pump out 20-30 repairs in just a few hours time.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
OmNi

Post by OmNi »

Brent you rock. I believe I am too analytical to do that many repairs in such a short period of time. This may sound silly... but I've been following Dave Ramsey's advice for about three years now and it has really paid off. His website is his name and it's been a real asset to our growing business. I am a younger guy and have been fugal my entire life... good or bad, every one else
SGT

Post by SGT »

Nice question. There certainly are alot of personal views as well as demographic factors that will make "Good Money" different for all of us. Good Money for me in my area would be Great Money in other parts of the country for sure. Then again, Good Money in some areas would be Bad Money here.

My belief of Good Money, is anytime you are being compensated at a rate that will provide you the ability to meet all you needs and wants. Both emotional and materialistic. I think that each of these are achieved at different income levels as well. I also think you need to have a good balance of both. We all like to feel secure that we can make ends meat and have nice things too make all the hardwork a little sweeter.:smile:

I still need to work a fulltime aviation career as well as run my WSR business to make Great Money. I will leave the monitary value interpertaion of what I mean by Great Money up to you.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

OmNi,

If you think about it, 20 repairs in 4 hours is only 5 repairs per hour, which is only 1 repair per hour per bridge and is not all that difficult to do if you have the equipment and have the vehicles close enough together. I usually didn't run more than 5 bridges at a time unless there were several chips in one windshield that needed repairing. I had some awesome trucking accounts that would line up all their trucks needing repairs side by side for me. The only thing that slowed me down was moving my ladders, cause I was too cheap to buy more than two.

My focus is always on quality so a lot of guys are faster than I am, but running multiple bridges allowed me optimize my time without sacrificing quality.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
boyd

Post by boyd »

S & W,

If someone were to ask me what good money was I'd say "It's what S & W is making".

Boyd
splitpit

Post by splitpit »

I say any and all money is good money!

Since I've never met a dollar I didn't like!
a1repair

Post by a1repair »

We've had the ability,(due to excellent service & repairs, as well as longevity) to crush any competition, claiming, to be serious in windshield repair. We have the windshield repair business "sewed-up" here in Vermont. We've seen more "fly-by-nite's come and go. Consequently, we have the opportunity to service over 100 hundred car dealers & rental agencies with 3 of us on the road. I'd say averaging $600 a day is good money. It's what we do. And that only windshield repair. We also do tons of vinyl, leather, and cloth, seat & interior repairs.
[FONT=Arial]A-1[/FONT] Windshield & Vinyl Repair
We get the monkey off your back! Since 1984