why is getting a cracked fixed so difficult?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
sarygirl

why is getting a cracked fixed so difficult?

Post by sarygirl »

My windshield recently cracked about 6 inches and i can only find one company in my town that will fix it. Why won't many places fix this?
StarQuest

Re: why is getting a cracked fixed so difficult?

Post by StarQuest »

sarygirl,

If you post a location I'm sure there's somebody on this forum that will chime in.

A new 6" crack shouldn't be a big problem for a tech that has been trained to perform them. Where is the crack located on the shield?
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

Sarygirl,
Here in WV a 6" crack will not pass inspection if it is at all visible eventhough it has been repaired...Here 3inches is the limit if the crack in in the path of the wipers, 6inches outside the wiper path.Also,please ill out your user profile.
It is easier to answer you question specifically if we know where you are from.
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

The sad fact is many shops use repair as a bait and switch for a new WS. If I did replacements I probably would too! That said, a 6" crack is usually repairable! I love 6" cracks.
sarygirl

Post by sarygirl »

first of all, thanks for responding. i'm located in fremont,ca. And the crack is about an inch from the bottom of the ws, so i guess it would be in the line of the wipers.
sarygirl

Post by sarygirl »

p.s. is it going to matter if i painted it with clear nail polish about a year ago, but just lately it cracked? Also i tried to do a profile and i can't...
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

sarygirl;27366 wrote:p.s. is it going to matter if i painted it with clear nail polish about a year ago, but just lately it cracked? Also i tried to do a profile and i can't...
Thanks for your honesty sarygirl. Using the nail polish might explain why nobody wants to touch this one in your area. Personally, I'd have to pass on it, even though I provide long crack repair.

Just curious to find out, who told you clear nail polish would stop a crack? I've ran into customers before that applied this method and when asked, normal response was usually a grand parents suggestion!

Good Luck!
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Clear nail varnish. Everyone knows only red works.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
sarygirl

Post by sarygirl »

well, no one told me to paint it...i just figured it was like panyhose...lol!
fyi...it lasted over a year like that thankyou very much! and i haven't told any of the shops that yet, i was planning on calling after work.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Salygirl.

What make, year and model vehicle are talking about? Do you have any comprehensive coverage on glass?