Need advice on drill bits please

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
mepoozer

Marketing

Post by mepoozer »

Hello- I am just getting started in the repairs and would like some advice on what size of drill bits to buy. Is there a standard, more popular size or any advice would be greatly appreciated... Thank You, Karen
GRT

Post by GRT »

Delta Kits #FG169 if you are going to drill. At first I drilled all repairs, but I soon learned I got better looking repairs by practicing w/o drilling. Now I drill only about 1 out of 10 repairs. If the resin won't flow w/o drilling, then just start over by drilling, but DON'T cure it first. Hope this helps.

Never Say Die,

Tim - GRT
mafsu

Doubledog ......

Post by mafsu »

I have tried a few different sizes and shapes. A #2 round bur has always worked best for me. I also think it is the most popular size.
gold star wsr

Drill Bits

Post by gold star wsr »

I purchase bits from Janvil. Tungsten Carbide Round Burs JV-185. Hole size is .035. Drilling saves time in the long run, as nothing is so frustrating to me than to have to interrupt a repair in progress. If the resin is not wiped away prior to drilling, it fouls up the bit, and will also burn if the drill speed is too fast. When my clients look at the finished repair, their only reaction is "WOW!". Compared to what it was before, the scar fromt the drill is hardly worh mentioning. It is, however, a judgment call. Some never, or hardly ever drill, others drill every time. Either way, if the repair is accomplished and the client is pleased, that is really what it's all about.
GlasWeldTech
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Grace,
You said it all so well.
mepoozer

Post by mepoozer »

Thank You all for the advice!!! This is a wonderful and very friendly place for getting or giving advice!!!!! Karen
speedmaverick
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

systems

Post by speedmaverick »

The Janvil JV-185 is the longest lasting bit I have ever used. But be careful with it, its so sharp with a flat tip that when starting to drill it wants to skip across the glass and scratch the glass. I found that by starting at the low speed and at an angle. Then slowly decrease the angle as it gets started.
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

bullseye's

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

I use Delta Kits FG169's ... the best drill bit out there I have used.... and i have literally bought thousands of them. I drill every repair ... every one. Not to say you have to drill every repair .. but I find it makes them flow faster and they look just the same as olne repaired without drilling if done right.

If you want some hands on advice you are welcome to call me on the phone and ask how I get them to look good with drilling.

Brian
503-750-4567
always anxious to help with any type of questions :)
mepoozer

Post by mepoozer »

Thank You Brian for the personal invitation for help!!!! You are the greatest and I may be calling you- I'm at the point of trying to make this business fly.. I really appreciate your help!!! Your are so kind, Thank You Karen