Insurance companies, Networks, and Forum Etiquette

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
starstruck

Re: Insurance companies, Networks, and Forum Etiquette

Post by starstruck »

You may as well give up the argument GlassStarz. Some of us understand where you are coming from. Don't spin your wheels trying to convince those who don't. It's not worth it.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Glassdoc;30084 wrote:I can give advice, have no problem giving on a question that deserves an answer. However, if someone bought a kit off fleabay, watched the video, went out that afternoon and attempted to do 6 repairs came here and said, "They should be fine, but how long do you inject the resin in the break for and do you think I over charged?" Well, guess what.. that question does not dignify an answer. It deserves a real hard kick to the butt response.. And, I'm not one to try and sugar coat someones stupidity.. Do the research, educate yourself, get the training, ride with some one, contact the kit manufacturer, do several practice repairs, THEN come on here and ask what it is you may be doing wrong.. I'll be happy to oblige. But, don't expect to get the answer on how to make $100,000 when you don't know which o-ring is the seal..
So now you're calling me stupid? Not such a brilliant move on your part considering I own the joint, now is it. As I have stated many times, I learned from a video, and had I had a forum to consult, I would no doubt have asked a lot of questions.

That's exactly why we put this forum up, so if you don't like it, take a hike! I'm also getting sick and tired of being accused of always being politically correct, and deleting everything I don't like. If that were the case there would be a lot fewer people on this forum that's for sure. Maybe it's time I start living up to my reputation and do a bit of house cleaning around here.

What some call political correctness, others of us call compassion. If I was politically correct I would not want to offend the old timers who have helped to make this forum popular, but that fact is I would much rather offend those who are already successful in this business than those just starting out. I like making money as much as the next guy, but the reason I enjoy my job so much is because I feel like I am able to help people. I have watched many people start and run their own successful windshield repair business when others told them they didn't have it in them. All most people need to succeed is a little encouragement and guidance. Some of you have made it quite clear that you do not agree, and you are welcome to your opinion, but being unnecessarily rude to new members will not be tolerated here.

All of my comments are not directed solely at you glassdoc, but I do very much resent you calling me and the many like me stupid. I may not be the sharpest tack in the box, but I do manage to get my shoes tied and get to the work in the morning without your help, and I certainly don't need any belittling from you.

You can reach down and give someone a hand when they stumble, or you can kick them in the head when you walk by, but I believe the one who lends a hand will always end up on top.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

Brent Deines;30087 wrote:So now you're calling me stupid? Not such a brilliant move on your part considering I own the joint, now is it. As I have stated many times, I learned from a video, and had I had a forum to consult, I would no doubt have asked a lot of questions.

That's exactly why we put this forum up, so if you don't like it, take a hike! I'm also getting sick and tired of being accused of always being politically correct, and deleting everything I don't like. If that were the case there would be a lot fewer people on this forum that's for sure. Maybe it's time I start living up to my reputation and do a bit of house cleaning around here.

What some call political correctness, others of us call compassion. If I was politically correct I would not want to offend the old timers who have helped to make this forum popular, but that fact is I would much rather offend those who are already successful in this business than those just starting out. I like making money as much as the next guy, but the reason I enjoy my job so much is because I feel like I am able to help people. I have watched many people start and run their own successful windshield repair business when others told them they didn't have it in them. All most people need to succeed is a little encouragement and guidance. Some of you have made it quite clear that you do not agree, and you are welcome to your opinion, but being unnecessarily rude to new members will not be tolerated here.

All of my comments are not directed solely at you glassdoc, but I do very much resent you calling me and the many like me stupid. I may not be the sharpest tack in the box, but I do manage to get my shoes tied and get to the work in the morning without your help, and I certainly don't need any belittling from you.

You can reach down and give someone a hand when they stumble, or you can kick them in the head when you walk by, but I believe the one who lends a hand will always end up on top.
I never called you stupid. You took the initiative to learn and master the repair techniques. You did not just grab a coat tail and try to ride it to success. You worked for it.. Which is my point towards some of the questions posted here. They all want answers, but don't want to work (search) for it. I'm sorry, but owning a new hammer does not make you a master cabinet maker. Call me old school, I doubt I am that much older than most of you. But, I can clearly remember being in school and not knowing how to spell a word. The teacher did not spell it for me, no.. I was told to look it up in the dictionary.. In other words, if I wanted my vocabulary knowledge to expand I had to work for it. Thats the biggest difference between us old timers and the newbies that I see (IMO). They all want the answers, but don't want to work for it. Now had I cried and quit school back in the day when I was told to look up that word. I would not be where I am today. Nor would what I own or do for a living mean as much to me.. It wasn't given to me, I worked for it.
And its not just this forum. I belong to several different type forums. One of which is a custom truck site where recently a newbie purchased a brand new truck, put 22 inch rims on it, custom exhaust, leather seats, and stereo upgrades.. But then turned around and ask "where's the oil dipstick located".. Hmmmm.. I'm not inclined to be mean or short with anyone. I just feel that if they had enough education to search for a windshield repair forum or custom truck forum that surely they are educated enough to do a search for their answers prior to posting a somewhat obvious question. And, yes I have flamed the guy for purchasing a $32,000 4 cyl. Chevy that wants to know if he can take a cobra mustang at the track..
And to get back on topic. I still feel both sides of windshield repair should be posted without prejudice. Its a cruel world out there. There's weather, irrate customers, customers who clearly lied upon describing the damage, and cut throat competition. If it was all easy, and every day was a thousand dollar day. Doctors would be leaving the hospitals in a hurry to pick up their own repair kit.
starstruck

Post by starstruck »

Some people look for bargains on good quality things on Ebay because they have limited financial resources. Some people watch training videos and and do practice repairs to become self taught because their situation makes it difficult to attend training classes. Some people come here for advice because they have limited knowledge of wsr. Some people ask questions that may seem stupid to someone who has all the answers.

But are they less of a person because of those things? NO Are they unworthy of being in this industry? NO Do they deserve to be criticized and judge because of the choices they have made? NO

Kind hearted people show compassion to others because they know it is the right thing to do.

Cold hearted people just don't care.
Layne

Post by Layne »

Brent--Indeed you are a very tolerant person to let this go on. What are we learning from continuing this thread?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Layne;30090 wrote:Brent--Indeed you are a very tolerant person to let this go on. What are we learning from continuing this thread?
Unfortunately I'm not sure anyone is learning anything from this thread. However my hope is that by reading this thread new members will understand that just as with any forum on the web, there are members here on the windshield repair forum who are here to help as much as they can, and there are members who just don't seem to get it. One has to learn to ignore those that are filled with negativity and focus on those with a positive message.

Sometimes it is not so much what you say, but how you say it that counts. I try to surround myself with people who have positive attitudes and a genuine concern for the welfare of others, and when I run across someone who I feel I can help, I do so. If I don't think I can help them I will let them know, but I have never found cruelty to be of any benefit to anyone, and if we drive people away we cannot help them.

Windshield repair is a very unique business in that it does not cost much to get into, it is very easy to learn, and many people find they can make a very good living at it. That doesn't mean everyone will succeed, but most successful entrepreneurs will fail multiple times before they find something they can succeed at, and we all face plenty of people negativity from others along the way. I failed at many business opportunities before I found windshield repair, and I have made my share of stupid mistakes in this business as well, but I don't need anyone to rub my nose in it. I may never make as much money as some forum members claim to make, but I made a decent living as a windshield repair technician, and continue to do so by helping others get started in this industry.

Most of us buy things at least partially because of creative advertising. We don't know who to trust, so we want to believe what the seller tells us, and sometimes don't have time to do the in depth research that we should. If someone tells me their product will perform as advertised or I will get a full refund, I should be able to believe that. Maybe that makes me stupid, or maybe it makes the seller a crook. I guess it depends on how you look at it. While I believe that research is a good thing, most people that who at windshield repair do so because they never get started, and there are plenty of people who do a lot of research and still end up purchasing a product that simply does not perform to their expectations.

What really baffles me is that the same people who think I should allow anything and everything to be discussed here regardless of how offensive I find it, will stay here and complain about how I run things rather than go out and start their own forum where "they" can control the content, or allow it to be a free-for-all if that is what they want to see.

Offering an opinion is one thing, but it's just not in my nature to be unkind to others, so the overall tone will remain positive here, one way or another. However, that does not mean that every post will be positive, or every member will conform to my way of thinking. On this point I agree with GD, HB and others that have said it is important that members are allowed to voice their opinions. Still, at the end of the day someone has to decide on the direction this windshield repair forum will go and take the necessary action to keep it on track. Like it or not, that someone is me.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Exactly I bought a kit watched the Video and started practicing. If I had found this place I would have made fewer mistakes
I am a salesman always have been fortunatly because of this and having contact in the car buisness I was able to keep the ball rolling there are hundreds of guys who started the same way and failed this place is to help that guy get over the hump give him some advice on how to make his work better and learnd to sell the product. We all know that anyone can be taught to do repairs but without some help they might not be able to sell it Also this is a place for experienced techs to share ideas and techniques not to show up and tell us how great you are and how aweful the others are and how dare someone come here and ask such a dumb question or think they have the right to work in you field with no experience. Hey tough noogies everyone started with no experience help them guide them or shut up SIMPLE
This is getting old so this will be my last comment on this thread