Insurance companies, Networks, and Forum Etiquette

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Insurance companies, Networks, and Forum Etiquette

Post by Brent Deines »

I received a private message from a relatively new windshield repair forum member recently that I thought was worth bringing up. The writer suggested that I remind forum members that it is in all of our best interest to present ourselves as professionals at all times, including when posting on the windshield repair forum. He went on to point out that complaining about competitors, insurance companies, networks, but instead, suggest solutions to problems, noting that many who read the windshield repair forum do not necessarily post.

I could not agree more. When an employee comes to me with a complaint, I always ask them to suggest a solution to the problem. If they can present a reasonable solution, I will tell them to make it happen. It's far too easy to complain when things don't go our way, but complaining never accomplishes anything. If you have a complaint, offer a solution.

I would be very surprised to find that representatives from Safelite, Lynx, Belron, State Farm, and all the other companies that some in the windshield repair industry like to complain about don't read this forum, so I would suggest that it be used as a tool to offer "constructive" criticism, and possible solutions, rather than a place to vent frustrations.

It's a public forum so I don't control the content, but it sure would be nice if everyone who viewed the windshield repair forum could see that the majority of windshield repair technicians are professionals, or at least the ones that choose to join the windshield repair forum.

Differences of opinion need to be voiced, but complaining, arguing, name calling, and baiting other members hoping to get a rise out of them has no place in a professional community.

This forum is the largest windshield repair community in the world. The industry is watching, and listening. What do you want them to hear? Will it be complaining and bickering amongst ourselves, or will it a united voice that offers level headed suggestions for the betterment of the windshield repair industry?

You, the members of this forum will determine if we are taken seriously or not.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
splitpit

Re: Insurance companies, Networks, and Forum Etiquette

Post by splitpit »

I agree whole heartedly! I've been guilty in the past of getting into it with other members and I've tried to refrain from that, even though some like to keep tossing the bait my way. I figure if they keep fishing without a bite, maybe they will give up!

I also agree that many people are watching and judging...people who can have an impact on the future of this industry...good or bad. So it is important that we use some discretion and professionalism in what we say here.
toab

Post by toab »

I agree with brent and split'.Professionalism is how we will be considered credible to the movers and shakers in this industry.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Blind,

You made a very good point, one which I have been preaching for years, when you stated, "Collectively, we really did this to ourselves."

That does not mean that everyone who repairs windshields is responsible for the low prices paid by insurance companies, or for the fact that networks get part of a payment that many windshield repair technicians believe is rightfully theirs, but many, dare I say, most windshield repair technicians agreed to the pricing that the insurance companies offered through the networks. Worse yet, many who complain about how much insurance companies pay charge less for cash repairs. I don't know about you, but if I am your biggest customer and I find that you are giving a better price to your smallest customer, I am going to demand better pricing as well.

Now recently I have been pleased to hear that more and more technicians are holding their cash prices at or above insurance prices, and that is exactly what needs to be done to prove to insurance companies the true value of a windshield repair. It's not just glass repair technicians though, the windshield replacement industry has been plagued with the same problem for may years.

I will also add that we shouldn't really be too mad at the networks who had a brilliant idea to save the insurance companies money while keeping a bit of profit for themselves at the same time. There may be a few that would not have done the same thing had the opportunity presented itself, but lets be honest, most of us just wish we had thought of it. And we really shouldn't be too upset with insurance companies for trying to get the best possible price for services rendered. Don't we all do that? Sure, they pass on the expense to their customers, but they need to stay competitive to attract new customers while maximizing profits just like the rest of us.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is a lot of room for improvement, but the sooner we accept a little responsibility for our own actions and accept the fact that we need to learn to adapt to ever changing business conditions in order to survive, the sooner we will will regain control of the windshield repair industry.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Daveycrewcut

Post by Daveycrewcut »

For the insurance companies and their third party networks:

Please view the windshield repair industry as a separate and distinct industry from the windshield replacement industry. All too often the "repair" industry is overlooked and considered just as an afterthought. It is lumped in with the replacement industry. Most, but not all, of the third party networks have an interest in selling more glass due to their affiliated glass manufacturing/distribution operations. Fifteen years ago, most insurance companies offered $60 for the initial repair and $10-$20 for additional repairs in an effort to increase the repair ratio versus the replacement ratio. Since then, costs/expenses have been increasing but offers have been decreasing!

Many insurance companies, not all, treat a claim as a claim as a claim! (All claims are bad and should be denied, delayed etc.) Sometimes it takes upto 60 days and longer to get paid for a simple windshield repair claim, so what is wrong with giving a cash paying customer a discount?

Since windshield repair, (not replacement) is a preventive service that extends the life of a windshield and maintains a good seal and avoids cutting out the old glass (which is not biodegradable) and avoids taking a chance on having air leaks, water leaks or both, not to mention a possible bad installation which could result in more severe injuries to policyholders in the event of a wreck; Why not treat "repair" claims as positive events (a good claim).

Most insurance companies, do waive deductibles, (not all) which is good but still release these preventive "positive" incidents to show up on a policyholders CLUE report! Why not exclude these incidents from CLUE reports?

If you are trying to increase repair ratios, why not compensate a repair only technician, who has no incentive to sell new glass, for a mobile run in the event that the damage is unrepairable? You can bet if the damage is repairable , it will be repaired! You can also bet if he/she says it is unrepairable that it needs to be replaced! You pay adjusters so why not factor in a "fuel" surcharge on every job? Even if it is not mobile, shops need fuel to heat and cool.

Last, but not least, No Insurance company or TPA should ever suggest to their policyholder that the repair technician they have selected is in any way less qualified to do their repair than a so called "preferred provider" just because the "preferred provider" signed the offer agreement.

For windshield repair technicians:

Remember that insurance companies are voluntarily waiving deductibles for all the above good reasons, so they should be able to say how much they are willing to pay for repairs when the deductible is waived. You do not have to sign their "offer" agreements.
Dave Heidbreder
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

Many times in the past i (in front of the customer) initiated the claim call. Only to hear over the speaker phone "This shop is not one of our preferred providers". So.. i politely interrupt and ask the rep on the line to explain to the customer exactly what does this mean. Its amazing how many of the claims reps have no clue.. When i explain to them that yes my work is guaranteed for as long as the customer owns the vehicle and that by my choice to not be a preferred provider means I own my business and I charge what I need to in order to keep my business up and running, not what was offered by contract more than 13 years ago. So, then the rep will ask " do you accept our rates". I politely say "no, this is my phone, my minutes, my expertise, my supplies, my continued education classes, my certification and my livelihood". At which point I give them the cost for "my" repair and explain if it would be easier I will just collect from the insured and they can haggle the customer down if they choose to do so. So, far.. Whatever number I charge I get or have gotten paid. If a particular company takes to long to send a check or does the old bait n switch and send a check stating thats all they are authorized to pay. I call the customer, and explain to them the short pay or have not received payment and to send me a check. So far, no problems.. The thing that strikes me as funny is years ago, I was highly praised while on the speaker phone as a top of the list preferred provider.. Hmmmm, I wonder what list I am on now.
Layne

Post by Layne »

I have only 11 years of experience in this endeavor but I have dealt on numerous occasions with these third party reps. If you pay close attention to their spiel you will recognize that they are reading from a script. It is obvious that many are "minimum wage" employees and are nothing more than telemarketers at best. As I recall, this was a profitable venture a few years ago but I have seen insurance premiums rise drastically while auto and homeowner benefits decline significanrly. I remember when I once had a homeowners policy that was $500.00 deductible but was changed to a 1% deductible and this was not mutually agreed. This flat rate glass repair policy is set or agreed to by the insurance companies. This is "bottom line" decisions and certainly not sympathetic to nether the repair person nor the policyholders. As Red West would say 'this is college boy' mentality! One day they will regret not dancing with the one that brung them. God Bless 'ole Everette Dirksen). My view on the changing situation.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Well this thread didn't exactly go the direction I was hoping for, but that is to be expected I suppose.

Look, I don't expect anyone to be too thrilled about networks, or to be satisfied with the prices that insurance companies are willing to pay for our services. I also don't expect anyone to be happy about large corporations swallowing up market share like there is no tomorrow, or organizations trying to put rules and restrictions on who can do windshield repair and who can't.

My point is that if we really want to see some change, we need to present reasonable, rational arguments, and we have to get involved. I'm always amazed at employees who complain about management but pass up the opportunity for management positions. That's exactly what we do when we refuse to join industry organizations and get involved in the committees that make decisions within these organizations.

I'll probably get roasted for saying that, but that is the way I feel. Get involved and your voice may carry some weight, but all the complaining in the world falls on deaf ears if not presented properly, and to the right people.

Don't get me wrong, this thread has not been all that bad, and in fact some have made very good points, but I'm still not seeing many solutions offered. I think the key is to show the insurance companies and networks that there is a benefit to paying a reasonable price, compensating for travel outside a certain range, etc. I know if you ask me to lower my price the first question I will ask is "why, what is in it for me?"

I believe better pricing "can" reflect a quality improvement, but that is not always the case, so it is up to us to convince the world that as an industry we will work hard to improve the skills of technicians in the windshield repair industry, but we can't do that if we don't get fairly compensated for the services that we provide. Delta Kits began waiving the entire fee for our Eugene training classes a few years ago in order to give more technicians an opportunity to get properly trained. We also have volunteered for several committees with the NWRA and NGA, giving our customers a voice within the communities that "may" be able to help our industry.

Some of you don't think Delta Kits should be involved with these organizations, or that we should be talking with the networks and insurance companies, but I can tell you that you will never get anything accomplished if you don't don't get involved. It's frustrating, time consuming, expensive, and sometimes it seems that very little gets accomplished, but unless you don't know what is going on behind the scenes you will never have the opportunity to make a difference.

Just my humble opinion.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
splitpit

Post by splitpit »

I understood where you were coming from Brent and I too sat back and watched this thread turn into exactly what you asked us to avoid doing.
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

Well, there are 2 ways to read any story. A: The person/companies/representatives can read where they have failed us and strive to do us more justice in the future. Or B: They can look at these posts as complaining and not do anything. Constructive criticism is the key to obtaining a response. It may not be the response desired, but at least it is a "you got noticed" response.