On-Windshield Advertisement Cards

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
gt_repair

Re: On-Windshield Advertisement Cards

Post by gt_repair »

Nomad
When you answer your phone don't you answer by saying: Hello, This is (your shop name here) may I help you?

You may get someone that thinks that their car was hit and all it is, is another vender trying to get them... When you tell them you are a glass repair shop, don't you think 98% would just hang up with out hering you out?

With all that phone solitors out there they may get pissed and might not call your shop when they do want it done later.

I do like the idea of a note in a envelope. It does make you sound like a higher class shop...

I would go for it on that one... That is just me.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

Nomad
On an off note. Have you seen if the snowbirds slowed down this year in Yuma or did the gas prices not fade them at all?

RV's were a little slow on this end as I could see.
starstruck

Post by starstruck »

I wasn't trying to be entirely negative in my previous posts on this subject. I'm sure a person could pick up an occasional job by using this sales tactic.
I was simply stating that there is some risk involved when you are leaving ad materials on peoples vehicles. Also keep in mind that most major retailers, such as Wal-Mart have policies that prohibit this type of solicitation in their parking lot without the permission of the store manager. Some towns and cities also have laws governing this type of business solicitation without a license or permit. If you are going to do it, be sure you cover the bases before you start so you aren't harrassed or fined. Pissing off the wrong people could actually be a detriment to your business. You may leave your materials on mister grumpy City Council's car who decides to call a code enforcement officer to send you a fine.

Before someone chimes in about "negativity", let me just say this. Yes, I know there is risk involved in almost anything you do. Yes, I know you could step off the curb and get hit by a car! You have to weigh out the advantages of things versus the disadvantages of things and make your own decision. This isn't about positive verus negative. It's about reality.
kenb81
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by kenb81 »

I'm a tent guy stationed in a Canadian tire parking lot and this is the method we been using for over 15yrs and it works great. This was our only form of advertising. We would walk the lot about every 1/2 hr and tag the cars. Talk to people as much as you can inviting them to our tent for a repair
sgailey

Post by sgailey »

Thanks for the replies, everyone! :)

All in all, it looks like a good plan. I'm decided on going for it.

I appreciate the concerns, starstruck--- I too, tend to be more deliberative when considering an option, checking for possible obstacles and pitfalls before making the leap. Prudence can often be confused with negativity.

Now off to the printers.
scott890

Post by scott890 »

kenb81;30193 wrote:I'm a tent guy stationed in a Canadian tire parking lot and this is the method we been using for over 15yrs and it works great. This was our only form of advertising. We would walk the lot about every 1/2 hr and tag the cars. Talk to people as much as you can inviting them to our tent for a repair
what percent of people visit your tent after you tag their car?
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

In the area I work in, tagging or putting flyer's under blades is not allowed. To attempt these methods will definitely result in some stiff fines. It's always best to check with local ordinances prior to doing this. If it's acceptable in your area...I'd say go for it!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

GT; The snowbirds have mostly left now, but we are getting a few stragglers now and then. I am finding that I am getting more and more people that are permanent residents as they have gotten used to stopping at my tent.

I hear a lot of snowbirds say they won't be driving their rigs down next year, but this year has been quite good. Probably 80% of my business is Canadians, so their strong dollar is making it easier for them to travel. They are buying a lot of houses around here and next season I expect them to return if things don't really go to pot.

When I was doing the phone # thing I would use a different cell phone, answer hello to not scare them away or let them in on what I was doing until I had a chance to give them my presentation. I really didn't get anyone who was really angry about this and got a higher percentage of jobs than if I was to leave my card or something. I have had a lot of experience in phone work in the past so maybe doing something like this was more natural for me.

My experience has been that most people won't remember who called a few days later anyway. I am pretty good at not letting things get out of hand and getting into far out. It's all in how you handle it when someone comes on really upset, it's a lot easier on the phone than it is on the forum.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

starstruck;30192 wrote:I wasn't trying to be entirely negative in my previous posts on this subject. I'm sure a person could pick up an occasional job by using this sales tactic.
I was simply stating that there is some risk involved when you are leaving ad materials on peoples vehicles. Also keep in mind that most major retailers, such as Wal-Mart have policies that prohibit this type of solicitation in their parking lot without the permission of the store manager. Some towns and cities also have laws governing this type of business solicitation without a license or permit. If you are going to do it, be sure you cover the bases before you start so you aren't harrassed or fined. Pissing off the wrong people could actually be a detriment to your business. You may leave your materials on mister grumpy City Council's car who decides to call a code enforcement officer to send you a fine.

Before someone chimes in about "negativity", let me just say this. Yes, I know there is risk involved in almost anything you do. Yes, I know you could step off the curb and get hit by a car! You have to weigh out the advantages of things versus the disadvantages of things and make your own decision. This isn't about positive verus negative. It's about reality.
Yep.....Its all about............."reality"
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

I like the layout of your advertisement, just might use it myself. I think it is a great idea. Go for it!!!