How do you avoid burn out?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
starstruck

How do you avoid burn out?

Post by starstruck »

Job after job after job. Car after car after car. They all start to look the same. What do you do to keep from getting burned out?
ajaybutler

Re: How do you avoid burn out?

Post by ajaybutler »

Basically I start to look for other ways to make the repair industry more exciting. I got some chip savers from Delta Kits. I got my company name and phone number on them and started to see how many more repairs I could generate off of them. This past Saturday alone I got 5 responses after about 4hrs. I also past them out to Cable salesmen who see a number of people on a daily bases and told them that I would give them a $5.00 finders fee of each person they sent. Money excites me, so if I'm making it I'm not burned out. I provides the oppotunity to get more Business and think more about expanding. Then I could just do papper work and referals, wouldn't that be awesome.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

A stop off at the Dollar Store every day you hit your personal quota might work. set yourself a ideal day total and reward yourself only when you hit it
lordstanley13

Post by lordstanley13 »

The only thing I am getting burnt out on are these gas prices!!!!!!!

Which makes me work even harder to make the money while its there!!!
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

starstuck

It looks like they missed the point of burned out....

I got burned out a couple years back to were I did not want to do much at all doing the same thing day in and out. I would joke around to the customers saying I was getting burned out to a point and they could see it even though I tryed not to show it. I even asked if I could break a windshield just for the heck of it instead of fixing it..... They thought that was funning...

I would just take a friday or monday off or both and only work a few days just enought to pay the bills. I guess that was my vacation for me.... Then jump back in head first again.

When I got into doing H/L's that got me out of the rut I was in and gave me something else to do instead of the same old thing fixing chips in my sleep.. To me the challenge was gone, and now doing H/L's I have a new challenge to do.

I will be loking for another chanenge soon.

I think that was what you were looking for in an answer.....
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I have certainly been there and got the tee shirt and the first time was with my car sales business 22 years ago, for me I had to stop and start again with a total change of career. The samething happened to me with this business a couple of years ago which is why I switched over to doing more training just for a change. I also only work 4 days a week at most and I make sure I enjoy my time off. I know this has not told you how to cope but I think that is a personal thing as people handle things in different ways. A lot of the guys on here think they would like to be that busy but when you get there it is sometimes a different matter. One thing I learnt many years ago in business is that I set my living standards to my quietist months income, save a lot of stress that way and a nice lump of money left in the bank at the end of the year. Good luck mate and just chill.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

The only reason I am still doing this line of work is because of the customers and them asking were they will go if and when I think of shutting down.

I now work half days if possable. I bought most all the toys I want and had my fun time when I was younger going to trap and sporting clay shoots and dart turnaments for 20 years knowing I was not going to be able to do it when I got older because of my joints from my wreck. I did not retirement early knowing I may not enjoy it later.... It is like eating your desert first to make sure you have room for it from a big meal...

I only work as hard as I need to now and try to put something away if I can...

No stress here. Bills are paid.
WIN-1

Post by WIN-1 »

I made the mistake of reading somewhere most American guys can anticipate 4 seperate careers due to burnout, downsizing, industry changes, Big D,..
As I've mentioned before I found myself pushing 50 w/ no kids and sold my Diesel trucks to pursue an aviation career. Now here I am, flying Boxes 3 or 4 nights a week from CT to NJ and living in a old RV 'cause New England is insanely expensive ( or I'm just cheap).
To me, the key is try to enjoy people you meet as you go- it's not reaching your destination that counts- enjoying the trip is the main goal.
BTW, I do get an 'Attaboy' feeling when I after a job well done.
WSR paid a hell of a lot towards getting me trained!!
zachb

Post by zachb »

I play mp3s from my phone to my bluetooth headset. Also talking to customers and seeing how happy they are with the results compared to their previous ws repair experience.
jayjacque

Post by jayjacque »

The work itself doesn't seem to be what's getting to me, but the amount of driving. Accounts spread out over about a 250 mi. radius means lots of time on the road. 2 or 3 days a week leaving early, getting home late. But I gotta do it, so I do it. I listen to music on the road. That helps