Need advice on add-on service

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
freightshaker
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Need advice on add-on service

Post by freightshaker »

Howdy!

I'm considering scratch repair as an add-on for my WR and headlight restoration. I know I'll need a little diversification to make it in the market these days.

My question is this: Has anyone had any dealings with the Applied Colors touch-up system? It's $1495 for the system with a 30 day money back guarantee. Is it a good set-up?

I'm sorry if this should have went into the pdr section.

Spank ya very much,
Dwayne
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~Mark Twain
GlassStarz

Re: Need advice on add-on service

Post by GlassStarz »

I looked at the applied colors system prior to buying the system I have now and for myself I found it lacking what they sell is a bunch of premixed (I think 40) paints that are close to some of the colors out there and applying them in the blob method really doesn
screenman

Post by screenman »

I used to use th I-Mac system in the end I found it easier to add on more screen repairs, I also do PDR. That does not mean anyone else is wrong just different.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

For me it was and easy choice add something that will make it so i stay at 1 or 2 places all day making an average of $300 a stop or keep driving from place to place (And spending a lot on gas and other expenses) the other thing about the add on services is often they are the reason you get into a account then slowly once you are in you pick up the other stuff.
freightshaker

Post by freightshaker »

Thanks so much for the replies and advice.

I'm thinking of trying the "pepboys" route that Glassstarz mentioned, to give me a quick start. But I have a question. I mean another question.:)

Appliedcolors mentions, I quote : "PaintLeveler, our specially formulated chemical which removes the excess paint above and around a touchup repair that causes the "blobbing" and "scarring" effect seen in typical repairs."

Is there another product on the market that will do the same thing?

I'm about 2 weeks away from officially starting my WR, HR, paint-touch-up business.

Thanks again.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~Mark Twain
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Its overspray remover a light duty auto body paint thinner put it on paper towel wipe over the repair lightly and it will bring it down to the level
I prefer the Premier paint 2000 system paint match is exact and the fill is great and you offer something the others cant but if you want to do touch up on a buget the multiple color system would get you started 40 or so tubes from the parts store and a can of overspray eliminator $200 and you have the same thing as the $1500 aplied system
freightshaker

Post by freightshaker »

GlassStarz;31310 wrote:1
I prefer the Premier paint 2000 system paint match is exact and the fill is great ...
How much is their system? They avoid telling you on the website, so I'm thinking it's fairly expensive.

I'm thinking of going the "budget" way that you mentioned and as soon as I can, getting the Premier system. (Rolling profits back into the business as much as I can)
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

$6,900 best money I ever spent
The problem I see is the result is so much different that once you have been doing the blob method people are going to think you are just another guy with a paint brush
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

You can buy a basic Standox Toner system(999.00 with color software) and with basic jobber chemicals(the exact thing all "paint systems use") you can mix and dupicate all of the paint systems on the market(p Bull/pp2000/SSR) for about $2,000.If you do not have any paint experience or training then you might have to go the way of a premixed or franchise type system and pay for their knowledge.Any way you go its a good add-on.
freightshaker

Post by freightshaker »

Thank you Glasstarz, screenman, and harrellbenjamin for your advice.

I have another question to get your advice on, concerning another sideline that would round out my business well, and that's interior repair.

Basically, what's the least expensive way to get started in Interior Repair. Most start-up kits I have seen have been at least $2500. And when I say least expensive, I don't want you to think that I'm going into this to do hack work and give everyone a bad name. I'm not going to do a job that's "good enough", either on WR, HR, paint touch-up or whatever. I'm just trying to get going with the limited funds I have, and invest in better "systems" as money allows in the future. My goal is to have a good array of auto-restoration services out of the gate.

What would be the least expensive way to get started in interior repair without buying those $20 kits at Wal-Mart :)

Thanks for all your help. I'm sorry if this stuff has been answered elsewhere on the forum. I just haven't been able to find it.