Marketing

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Joe Delatte

Repairs on driver side

Post by Joe Delatte »

Hello,
My name is Joe. I just logged on for the first time. The first thing I'd like to comment on is your forum. It is very impressive! I've learned a great deal in a very short amount of time. Thanks! I am considering buying a Delta kit and starting a windshield repair business. I want to start part time and ease into full time. One thing that concerns me, however, is the demand for W.R. in my area. Most shops just replace the windshields. I never hear anything about windshield repair. Windshield repair sounds like a very lucrative business if the demand is there. Does anyone have some suggestions as to how I might research this before taking the plunge. I live on the Eastern shore of Maryland. We are about 120 miles east of Baltimore and 30 miles west of Ocean City.

Thanks,
Joe
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Hey Joe,
You are right most glass companies don't do repairs. I have been in this business for 11 years. The reason glass companies don't repair is they usualy want the big claim. Personaly I have don't' spreadsheets, and run the numbers and from my prospective I personaly got out of the replacement business to go full time repairing only windshields. I personaly replaced glass for over 5 years and its a pain in the butt. I highly recommend the repair only business because its very profitable and its recommended by insurance companies. It's very easy to learn and you are saving people money. However beware, many glass companies really hate repair people because we are taking away from there replacement business. Don't worry about this, I meet a lot of honest and reputable people in the repair industry but not very many in the replacement industry. I wish you luck in decideing what to do. You have my support in getting into the repair industry.
David
Coitster
Glass Experts
Joe Delatte

repairs

Post by Joe Delatte »

Thanks David,
That's very encouraging.

Joe
gaf

Post by gaf »

If you are wondering if there is a market in your area all you have to do is go to the local mall or grocery store and walk around the parking lot and see how many windshields have some kind of damage on them, and also you can go to some car dealers and walk around their used cars. I did this on an evening when they close at 5:00 or so just so I didn't have to deal with any salespeople. There is a market for repair in every city in every state you just have to market yourself and your services. good luck and welcome to the forum.
mepoozer

Colors

Post by mepoozer »

Hello- I don't know if this will be of any help but, State Farm has a page on thier web site that shows how they would rather repair than replace and the different kind of breaks, etc. Here's the web site, http://www.statefarm.com/claims/shldrepr.htm. I got this site from on this forum and it was very interesting and may help you too. If the exact address doesn't work look back in the posts or go to State Farm's site and it's on there. Good Luck to you, Karen

Fixed link
Delta Kits