what kit to start with

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
repairing windshields

Re: Starting Your New Windshield Repair Business

Post by repairing windshields »

Will do first thing in the morning going to make business card not the cheap one going with the pricey ones. thank you much hope this works
sgearhart
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by sgearhart »

Just getting started, have a couple of questions.

Do most insurance companies honor an invoice for the repair the insured files themselves or does it have to be filed through Lynx, Safelite etc? I have read that some require you to be in business for 6 months or have done 200 repairs, is that true? Also, $500,000 seems a bit much for insurance just for windshield repair, so is that for a replacement/repair shop? Does anyone have any idea a good company to call for this insurance? I appreciate all the help in advance. :D
Shurte

Post by Shurte »

sgearhart wrote:Just getting started, have a couple of questions.

Do most insurance companies honor an invoice for the repair the insured files themselves or does it have to be filed through Lynx, Safelite etc? I have read that some require you to be in business for 6 months or have done 200 repairs, is that true? Also, $500,000 seems a bit much for insurance just for windshield repair, so is that for a replacement/repair shop? Does anyone have any idea a good company to call for this insurance? I appreciate all the help in advance. :D
Sorry for the bump, but I was wondering the exact thing. I had a close friend who did repair/replacement years ago, and hes telling me to bill the insurance companies directly and not through the network. Im just wondering if thats a technique from the past and no longer the way to do it. If its still an option, whats the pros and cons?

Also, with the network requiring a certain amount of experience would billing the insurance companies directly be a way to sidestep this requirement for now?

A huge "THANK YOU" for all the help you guys provide!
amartinez8075

idk where to start

Post by amartinez8075 »

hello i am trying to start my own windshield repair business but i have no idea where to start, how do i get my business name shop number, my name out there to bill insurance companies. if someone with knowledge and step by step advice i would really appreciate it.
KCBen

Re: what kit to start with

Post by KCBen »

amartinez8075 First I am just starting out also. I bought my kit from Delta I have good and bad thoughts but the good out weigh the bad by a long shot. So my story, I called a local glass shop that did replacements and I asked if I could have one of their busted windows he said no problem. I went and picked it up all this time I am you tubing all sorts of off people doing repairs very helpful to me. I received my kit and started practicing make sure you take care of your kit the sun is your friend but can also be your enemy. Practice, practice, practice it really is a lot of fun to me, and it is not rocket science. I have made oh maybe 100 practice repairs and maybe 20 of them have been on friends windshields or coworkers (getting paid) with the understanding that I am just starting out. I made my name B&M windshield repair, I went to the court house I think it was the court house its kind of a blur because It was all trial and era, I got my DBA ( do business as form from them) not sur if I need it but I have it. I got me some insurance and the guys from Delta can really help you with their contact info. I needed the insurance so I could go through a company called ACT which does my billing to the insurance, some times the customers they just pay cash. I picked UP a fleet of trucks and the fleet manger just cuts me a check when I am done very nice, I actually just put my business name on Offer Up an app that allows you to sell stuff and he saw it and called me. I have used the ACT site twice and it works but I think the longer you use them and they get to know your company name the better it will get at least that is what I am hoping for. I am retired military and now I work at a school so I am part time. I went down to the court house and checked if I needed any permits they told me no, I guess because I am a mobile business I don't have a building to call home. Make a check list of how to repair a windshield so you don't miss something like for example check for moisture in the break, prechecks as I call them for me,(I think its a confidence thing for me) before I even put my bridge on the windshield I make sure I have checked for anything that might get in the way of making a good repair. The members on this forum have a lot of good information for us I think I have read more than 50% of what's on this forum some of it is very helpful and some is just fun to read. Most of the repairs I have done are from people I know I also placed an ad in our church bulletin and that has helped out most of my friends from church didn't even know I had a business, I also got me some car magnets now everyone that knows me knows that I have a WR business it takes time but its fun and rewarding. I have a facebook and just now started thanking them for their business on facebook which in return they say stuff like thanks to B&M they did a great job just be careful cause I am sure it could go in a totally different direction. If you look at the numbers as far as for me being retired I can make more money doing my WR business than working at some job that pays 15 or even 20 dollars an hour working straight 8 hours a day. Best info I can leave you with is practice and have patience make sure the repair is done, filled, some on this forum say go get properly trained, I would like to but for me right now it wont happen. My Delta kit makes it very easy to do good repairs. Once I am doing better with extra money I think I will invest in some other kits just because, its fun. Oh the best thing for me about my kit it has one seal that I have to worry about. Have fun good luck wish you success.

I am in Texas the Austin area.
B&M WR