Re-repairing Poor Repairs

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
A. Martian

Re-repairing Poor Repairs

Post by A. Martian »

In a different thread, a reference was made to repairing a poor-quality repair that somebody else had done...

I have yet to tackle one of these. What types can be repaired? What types should be attempted... how do you know by looking if one can be re-repaired, or can all/most of them? Are there special techniques involved, or just do the steps appropriate for the type of damage?

Curious about this one because I've walked past or turned down several.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Re-repairing Poor Repairs

Post by GlassStarz »

If its not in danger of taking Off i tend to leave em alone unless its a car lot where they will have to replace it.
If I do fix an old One i tend to drill into the area that is still open and use a really thin resin put it under pressure and leave it for awhile.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

I agree,I usually will leave these alone.I have found also to drill still open area and let sit but still will only come out so good.I always tell the customere up front what to expect,that way if it turns out really good,they will be really heppy.I see bad repairs everyday(mainly from replacement co.).They dont care what it looks like but that is another thread!
ChipStop

Post by ChipStop »

I agree, re-repair cause all kinds of liability issues. Unless it is my new fleet accounts, I pass on redoing someone else's junky work.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Re-repair is a real pain. I really would rather see someone spend their time getting good training and practicing to be the best at new repair. I started re-repairing because I saw so much crap work out there I just couldn't leave it alone and I guess I've gotten pretty good at it. There are so many poor repairmen in my area that close to 20% of my work is re-repair. It's really sad to see all those w/s's wasted. There are too many variables to explain them all here, but if you really must know, PM me.
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

I Agree, re dos usally don"t come out good, I always try to let the customer know this, so I get payed.
Bullseye WSR
tooldini

Post by tooldini »

I don't do them because I don't want to be held reliable when it cracks out since fixing and old bad repair is pretty much impossible
screenman

Post by screenman »

I do every single one that is repairable, some are not, experience and close inspection tell me what and what is not repairable. There are lots of techniques to use when doing this sort of work, from drilling and popping to burning out. I always set my customers expectations slightly lower than what I know I can achieve.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over