Accreditations

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
RVB
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Accreditations

Post by RVB »

My friends,
Lynx recently has added a field for us to complete with our credentials. I decided to come home early today to take my certification test, only to find out that Lynx only lists NGA and AGRSS. I just learned that NGA now charges $229.00 for the test itself. Nice for a non-profit organization to do that, especially when they have the monopoly through Lynx. We basically have no other option, if we want to use Lynx. Why isn't NWRA's certification listed?
GlassStarz

Re: Accreditations

Post by GlassStarz »

Listed doesnt mean any customers pay a bit of attention to it. Lots of better places to spend your money to help you grow your buisness
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

According to their website, the NGA Glass "Repair" certification is $134.95 for NGA members and $164.95 for non-members.
http://www.glass.org/cert/agr_general.htm
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
RVB

Post by RVB »

I understand Brent. I also thought that was the case. However, one will not be able to fully register through that page. The page to register now is http://www.ngacertified.com

Kv. I understand your point about the irrelevance of the certification, but based on the last e-mail sent by Lynx, it looks like it is going to be a requirement. I agree i have a lot of other places I rather spent my money.
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

RVB..I took that letter to meen for replacement not repair..and I have no intention to get certified..that is one subject that gets my dander up..
t4k

Post by t4k »

My Lynx calls stopped 6-8 months ago. I called them and they told me there was an economic slow down....duhhhhh. Maybe I need to be certified??
SGT

Post by SGT »

I personally support certification in my fulltime career in aviation and in my part time field of windshield repair for many reasons. I am curious why others frown upon or feel it is not to your benefit to be certified. Not saying it is wrong to not be certified, just trying to see the other side of the coin so to speak.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
RVB

Post by RVB »

My Bad!

In fact, the link for the test given by me is for "replacement". The test for repair techs is still located at the glass.org site and the cost is far bellow the one I mentioned. Sorry for the confusion.
The cost still is $129.00 for non-members.

Thanks!!
SGT

Post by SGT »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response. Maybe comparing the two fields I mentioned is like comparing tea and quicksand. I believe that for WSR you do not need to to be certified to become good at the repair process or run a successful business for sure.

I do think by becoming certified in WSR ,you are not saying now that you are certified you are good at doing the repair process, but rather saying that you are an industry professional commited upholding a certain level of ethical practices which are embodied in the standard that has been put in place. A commitment to yourself and industry image. Will this certification harness more work? I would like to think on the retail level it would matter to a customer but who knows. I certainly would not rely on it. I also would like to think it would matter to the wholesale accounts as well but in most cases price will win there over credentials.

That being said, if you are not certified it does not mean you are doing horrible work or do not maintain high quality and ethical standards in your business. Before I made the choice to get certified I was just as professional as I am now doing the same high quality professional work. As we all know there are many techs who do not care about how or what they do which hurts the industry which trickles down to the image people have of repair as a whole which includes you me and all competant techs.

Hope all is going well for you in Colorado. Winters coming. Stay warm!
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
shanker

Post by shanker »

We have seen a lot surface in the past years regarding certification of repair and replacement technicians. If we spend our money attempting to comply with the requirements established by third party groups (these are not the insurance companies) we may anticipate that future additional requirements will emerge at a later date. I somehow sense that this is a duel between the third party groups to establish their sole control over the industry. I have neither seen nor heard anything from the insurance industry that endorses these programs. Let's keep it simple---all the insurance industry is concerned with is repair/replace windshields at the lowest price. We should be more concerned with the foreign based company that is attempting to grab the whole market with their call in center and facilities that promote their shops at the exclusion of all others.