Building Your Retail Windshield Repair Business

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
c_mackowski
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by c_mackowski »

Jeff,

Any thought to making this thread a sticky?
Chris Mackowski
Expert AutoGlass Repair
Burleson, Texas
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

Any thought to making this thread a sticky?
Done :)
Delta Kits, Inc.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Boy, Jeff... are you EASY or what?

I guess I should add something here after that comment... :P

Are any of you doing this without being on the network's "approved" list?

This topic has changed my mind about "using" the networks. I think I have actually avoided pursuing insurance work because it can be a hassle at times. It's not going to be easy for me to sign on with the networks, but I see the value in doing so. :idea:

It's difficult to deny that a half hour wasted "dealing" with a network rep could be spent selling and doing another job.

More positive-thinking food...

The first-time-jitters or "fear" of doing this reminds me of what has been ingrained in my grey matter for a long time.

You have nothing to lose. When you walk in the door, you have no work. So if you leave with no work, no big deal. You haven't lost anything but a couple minutes.

Never let a rejection get you down, or all worked up. Even if someone is a jerk, or things aren't going well, you can't let it get to you. Brush the dust off and move on. If you can't do this, it will "show"... and it will be a turn off for the next person you talk to. It sounds simple, but some people have a tough time with this.

These same principles apply also to going after fleet accounts, dealers, etc. Especially the part about not showing any frustration or attitude. I work some good dealers accounts that I probably wouldn't have now if I let jerks get the best of me.
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Hey GlassDoctor,
I think you will be suprised to find that when you make the phone call to the networks it only takes a couple of minutes, if you are on the list. My average call to StateFarm or any lynx company only takes about 3 to 4 minutes, then I am off repairing. It also cements in the customers trust in me when the network just told them what I told them. Makes be sound all credible and everything. :) I know for sure some people don't like to use the networks because of all the problems involved.... (won't go there) however I use them as a selling point. I make it into a positive by saying I am on their preffered list.

The customer doesn't care about anything after that, they are happy. Remeber they don't know me, so if their insurance company doesn't say I am approved then its very hard to get the business. Now if the customer knows me, and trusts me ahead of time then thats different. You wouldn't have to be on the network, but since most of them don't kow me at first that is, then its nessesary for me to be on the network. Please keep us updated on how it goes for you.
David
Coitster
Glass
c_mackowski

Post by c_mackowski »

I FINALLY! Have some updates
Chris Mackowski
Expert AutoGlass Repair
Burleson, Texas
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Great news Chris,
WTG man, trust me, keep at it you will get better and better. The hardest part is just getting out. Sometimes you will have bad days, I get them everyonce and a while. Keep it up. :)
David
Coitster
Glass
c_mackowski

Post by c_mackowski »

Well I have to be taking some time off.... Seems I ended up with a sinus infection yesterday. The codine is great! I've been loopy for a day and a half now. I know why you hear about those nutcases who drill holes in their head.. Where's my drill :shock:
Chris Mackowski
Expert AutoGlass Repair
Burleson, Texas
jroske

Post by jroske »

Coitster wrote: I do stay away from a few places, like Grocery Stors, Hospitals, schools and government buildings.
Why do you stay away from these places???
Coitster

staples sheets

Post by Coitster »

Well for retail locations I stay away from them because its a very uneasy situation when you walk into a store and try to sell a customer of theres. Most places get mad at you for that. I don't go after hospitals or doctors offices because they will be in seeing the doctor or dentist and secretaries will refuse to go get them. Also I don't want someone in a gown coming out to see me. Government buildings are just to big, no one knows who drives what. Hope that helps.
David
Coitster
Glass
dgarza

Post by dgarza »

I can testify to that! I was scanning this parking lot that had mostly small office complexes and no retail except one store was a salon. I found an expedition with a rock chip and after asking all the other busineses realized it was from the salon. Well the salon looked really slow and so I took a chance thinking the odds are good it will be somebody that works there. Well it wasnt and by the time I was done talking to the cust getting her nails done the owner was at the door holding it open for me! Not a fun situation.