ladders

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
polaris29

ladders

Post by polaris29 »

Good morning to all. I would like some advice on a ladder to carry with me to have as needed. The more I advertise, I hope to be doing repairs on trucks,etc.Just looking for some past experience here from you who have been doing this for awhile. I am aware that I need to make sure to do no damage and wonder how some of you are handling this.
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: ladders

Post by Frank EU »

Hi Polaris,
Prior to answering your question, I checked your profile, it appeared to be ''very basic''. May I suggest you to give us, your fellow members, some more information? I am sure that many other members are checking out the profiles and am confident that sharing your information (location, full time or part time, other jobs, experience etc.) will be helpfull in getting more replies......and yes, a ladder may be helpfull but in most situations you don't need one.
mzcollins

Post by mzcollins »

Rather than a ladder, use a small two step kitchen (or painting ladder). Most times I dont use a ladder, only reach and also stand inside the threshold of the open door to the car or truck. Some trucks need more reach. Also a quick note: Go to your local RV dealership and buy a sheet of the plastic/rubber sheets (buy like a large towel size) that they use to line cupboards with in RVs. It is rubber and will grip to the car. I use it as a protection against me, my belt buckle and the vehicles paint. Just lay it across the fender...........works good.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Kroger, WalMart, Home Depot etc. have great stools made by Rubbermaid.
Here's the link...http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/pr ... Prod100520
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Seriosly who cares how much profile is filled out? Guy asks a question answer the question his location and age doesnt change how you answer a question about what you use for a ladder?
Back to the ladder I use a step ladder it really depends how tall you are I am 6'4" so its rare that I use it some of you guys from munchkin land might have to use one all the time
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

When I first started out I used a milk carten now that I am more experienced I use a 5 gallon bucket..
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

I have a small wooden stepladder . Its about 2 feet high. I keep it behind the seat of my pickup truck.
I seldom need to use it.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I work a lot on large tall motor homes. I think these are about 11 feet or more to the top of the WS. I've never actually measured how high but it's up there a ways. When a chip is near the top you need a six foot stepladder or something similar.

Most people that have these RVs already have a ladder but may not have it with them if they come to you. I have a fancy "all in one" ladder, center break type, that makes a 4.5 to a 6.5 foot stepladder. Really nice but heavy. Also have a regular cheap aluminum ladder and a plastic step stool for pickups and to help my shortness handicap. A lot easier to carry the light weight step ladder around. Also might need to have some small pieces of wood to even up things if you are on uneven ground. If you don't do a lot of motorhomes or trucks you probably shouldn't be to concerned about this.

One time I put a plank from the floor of a semi tractor to a step on the ladder so I could reach a chip without going out the door and up the ladder again. Just stood on the plank like you would standing in the door of a pickup. I don't do many trucks though, so haven't done this in a while and don't carry a plank or even a ladder with me most of the time if I know the customer will have one at his site, and most of the chips seem to be on the lower to middle part of the WS anyway.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

let me tell you a personal milk carton story when I was a kid My father used one to stand on while changing the head on a car leaned in to put it in place the box slipped he dropped the head on his finger pinched it between the sheet metal cowl cut his finger off not a big fan of milk boxes
Roo

Post by Roo »

GlassStarz wrote:let me tell you a personal milk carton story when I was a kid My father used one to stand on while changing the head on a car leaned in to put it in place the box slipped he dropped the head on his finger pinched it between the sheet metal cowl cut his finger off not a big fan of milk boxes
In other words spend the $20 bucks and get a decent ladder instead of falling onto the customers car and having to spend hundreds to repair the damage. Great post...I am one of the vertically challenged individuals as well.