Are There Windshields To Repair In Florida?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
abcinabq
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Are There Windshields To Repair In Florida?

Post by abcinabq »

I'm planning to move to Florida, near the Orlando area and I would love some feed from the industry there.
Can I make my business work in Florida?

I'm from New Mexico where rocks are abundant, but not sure if Florida is all sand or are there things flying into windshields in the Sunshine State or not?
Please help with some information, much appreciated.
GlassStarz

Re: Are There Windshields To Repair In Florida?

Post by GlassStarz »

The roads are asphalt everywhere and there are a bunch of guys earning a good living down there. A former competitor of mine moved down there a couple years ago and is doing well I took his hint and moved to the warmth myself. I think the secret to finding work in a new place is having a couple different things to offer
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Are you joking? Windshield repair is certainly needed in FL. More important would be questions such as; how many vendors are currently offering this service in the sunshine state? (MANY) Where are they located at? (ALL OVER THE PLACE) Are they repair only or do they also replace glass? (BOTH)
Just find some info in directories such as goldenpages, yellowbook, the telephone directory etc. or do a Google search. You'll be amazed!
abcinabq

Post by abcinabq »

Thanks for the info. The only other service I offer is a much needed one with headlight resurfacing, but I'm sure there are many offering that as well. My pricing seems to be on mark with the Florida repair market, but not too sure about the headlight repairs yet.
In Albuquerque there one in three vehicles that have repairable damage. Also not too many good repairs going on here. It's been a little more difficult to talk people in to fixing thier headlights. The need is huge but the will is small.
Thanks again and if you have any more info on the market please reply.
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

Hi, Florida is still one of the states that do not have a deductable on Glass ie Windshield Replacement is free via a Insurance company
abcinabq

Post by abcinabq »

I think I did hear about that. That means that it would be stupid to repair a windshield if you can land a new one from your insurance company.The insurance companies must hate that deal.
SGT

Post by SGT »

I would think your wholesale market would be the same in FL as far as being attractive for the preventative maintenance/cost savings benefits. The retail market would require more than ever consumer education on the benefits of repair vs. the potential issues from a substandard replacement. When safe, repair is a no brainer as well all know, convincing others is another story. Good luck.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
screenman

Post by screenman »

What is the weather like and do they speak proper english like what I does mate?
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

Hi there, I do not think you can just do windshield repair in the Florida area you have to get another add on item ie Windshields/replacments -dents-Headlights-Hood painting etc I was at the Mobile tech show a few years ago (Tampa) and there seem to be a lot compertion in the Florida area (The mobile Tech Show is on in January ever year in Florida)
RVB

Post by RVB »

Florida is kind of interesting. The law really motivates people to replace the windshield. I have had cases where after setting the appointment with the customer, and after arriving at the site, the customer would tell me that she was at lunch with a friend and learned that replacement was free and decided not to repair, but to replace. I have long ago decided not to invest much on retail here. The only way to make decent money in Florida in the WSR is through wholesale. Please don’t allow this to be a stumbling block for your plans. You might very well develop a business plan where you will be very succesfull. In my case I found diversification the best plan. Don’t depend on WSR alone. The replacement companies eat each other alive around here. I know people that after getting a small chip on the windshield, he just made a bigger break on the windshield, so it wouldn’t qualify for repair. I have seen cases were the break was just a small BY and the person would not accept anything but a replacement. Florida is a replacement market, no questions asked.