Price list and proposals

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Ralph

New Website - Let Me Know What You Think

Post by Ralph »

Hi Everybody,
My name is Ralph and I just started w/s repair a few months ago. I presently have one client. (large rental company). I need to bring in more business so I am going to try to sell my services to some local businesses and even try to get my township as a client. I would like to solicit a local trucking company and I would like to make a written proposal up so I would be prepared for a sit down with the boss. I have repaired one tractor trailer w/s before. It's an experience...standing inside the engine compartment because I couldn't stand or sit on the hood. It's a little more work and I could get a little dirty/greasy but I would still do the repairs for the right price. I charged $35 to fix two bullseyes on the tractor trailer and $50 to clean his bug infested windshield..just kidding :P I only charged $35 because it was my first time and I didn't know what to expect. The repair came out pretty good but it was still on the tough side because the windshield is vertical. Anyway, we are talking about 30 trucks in the fleet (approximately). How much should I propose to charge when we are talking about a fleet of trucks? I heard $35 was the going price for car fleets. Should I charge per windshield or per each repair. I was thinking $35 for the first repair on the windshield and $20 for other repairs to the same windshield. Keep it pretty basic. Should I charge an inspection fee? Time is money... One thing I have kept in mind is the repair I did on the tractor trailer. The(Independant) truck driver said he could have the windshield replaced for $50 but choose not to for fear of leaks. His windshield actually is a split windshield, the left side is seperate from the right side. I don't believe the fleet of trucks have that type of windshield. Does anybody know how much it costs to replace a tractor trailer windshield? Ballpark price for a tractor trailer windshield? My next sales pitch for this client would be to explain that I would be willing to repair any vehicles windshields that were struck by a rock that was thrown up by one of his trucks. What do you think? Would they go for that? How much should I charge and how far should I be willing to travel? Should I tell the owner of the truck company that I could fix the persons windshield possibly at no cost to him if the other person has comprehensive/collision insurance? If I fix the windshield and bill the insurance company maybe I could bill the truck company for my travel expenses? If so, how much? I have alot of questions to try to figure out... If anybody would like to share their thoughts it would be helpful. Has anybody prepared a proposal for a client outlining the particulars? If so I would be greatful if you can send a copy my way. Oh, one other thing. If I repaired windshields on these trucks could any of the drivers hold me personally responsible if they were to have an accident and blame it on the repair? I heard of people being side tracked from driving because of the focal point of a repair. Should waivers be signed to protect myself from any and all liability? Am I being paranoid or to cautious? I plan to get fully insured before I make my presentation but I still have to think things out before I approach future clients.
Thanks for any and all input! :wink:
Ralph
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Hey Ralph,
First of about the split windshield. It depends, most of your big rigs and tractors have flat windshields, these are extreamly cheap. You can get them for very cheap. Besides lots of full service glass companies try to get these type of accounts. As for fleet work, I am not going to comment on that because my experiance is not in fleet work. I will some of the other guys do that.
David
Coitster
Glass
Repair1

Building your retail business

Post by Repair1 »

Hello Ralph,

Glad to see you want to get new business yes the big trucks are fun but there are alot of them on the road gotta love it.. :!:

I never charge a fee for checking there fleet if you time it right you should always have work to do which puts you at least $50.00 an hour and making up to $200.00 an hour :D no fee required if ya know what I mean.

The big things with the fleets is if you service them after hours you are saving them down time on that car or truck the cost of the windshield then becomes a none issue..

Well as far as putting a bid in writing I have found that in most cases it kicks you in the butt one of two things will happen. :x

1. They will take it show it to your competition to match your prices.

2. Or file it in the trash.

In all the years working with fleet accounts I can
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

Ralph.

There is an old saying.

KISS. (Keep it simple, stupid.)

Don't take that personally---it's the concept that I'm referring to.

It seems to me that you are trying waayyy too hard to acquire this account.

Set a price for repair and stick with it. My price includes up to two repairs on the same windshield assuming they've had repairs in the past. (If they have a pock-marked fleet, that entails an initial clean-up bid after which I revert to a flat price per windshield.)

You won't get $20 for a second repair on a fleet. You don't even get that on an insurance job.

Never mind the extras like fixing vehicles hit by debris from the fleet. Nor would I promise to marry the owner's ugly daughter.

You won't get paid for an "inspection" fee. That's part and parcel of your service.

I've never heard of a lawsuit resulting from a repair on a fleet vehicle. If that were to occur, that's what liability insurance is for.

Hope this helps a little. Just keep it simple and don't give away the hardware store while trying to sell a rake.
desertstars

Free Rock Chip offer...

Post by desertstars »

I just saw your post, Brian.

How true.

Other than the case of a company with over 3000 trucks, The ONLY time I have EVER offered a written proposal was the 45 unit fleet I referred to that had never had repairs done. That was a flat $1950 to put them in shape after which we went to my standard price. (Incidentally, I broke down that $1950 to a per repair price which eventually sold them on my services.)

I didn't even offer a written proposal on an adjoining 253 unit city fleet I acquired composed of cop cars, sanitation, dog-catching vehicles, fire engines, street-sweepers and utility vehicles.

I did win the 3000 truck bid but declined it when I found out they wanted us on call 24/7.

I'd much rather have ten small accounts than one large one. Before long, you'll find you're being nickle and dimed by the large one.
Repair1

fleets

Post by Repair1 »

SOOO true

I love the small 10 to 20 truck accounts :D I look at the small ones as just a piece of one large one with the advantage being if you loose a small one you don't feel it nearly as bad as the big ones.. I 've had both and lost both you to will loose one here and there it's just part of the business....

Happy Repairing

Brian
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Thanks for all of your help! I will use the "KISS" method...I won't marry the bosses ugly daughter.(there is no such thing as an ugly woman, some are just prettier than others...)
Looks like $50 per windshield is the proposed price. Is there an easy way of accessing a tractor trailers windshield for the repair. Anybody use a ladder or do most open the hood forward then climb up into the engine area? Thanks for your input..it really means alot!
Ralph
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

You missed your calling, Ralph. You should have been a diplomat or politician.

Get a three step wooden ladder from Home Depot or where-ever.

Pop the hood, position the ladder at the tire on the repair side. Up the ladder and onto the tire.

Voila.
Ralph

18-wheelers

Post by Ralph »

Ok, Ok, Ok,...I wish I was a "Diplomat" but I'm not...So I bought a ladder at Home Depot and now I'm ready to go....I do appreciate you guys walking me thru this. : }
Ralph
wizard glass repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by wizard glass repair »

Let me tell you what i do for one of my fleet accounts.
I do all of their rock chips on their charter busses about 40 of them for a set amount monthly i usually end up working about 30 mins a day 5 days a week. all for 800.00 a month, they pay me in two checks a month 1st , 15th.. that should work out ok for you.
wizard glass repair,inc
mark higgins
president
billings, Mt
406-860-7623