Audience

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Audience

Post by Mr Bill »

How do you feel about people looking over your shoulder while you do a repair?
How do you feel about the car's owner looking over your shoulder?
GlasWeldTech

Re: Audience

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Doesn't bother me at all as I will try to educate them on what a GOOD repair looks like.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Relieves the boredom and give you someone to chat too I love it.
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

Love it...time to educate, talk with and learn about your customers, and upsell/cross sell other products and services. Customers eat it up when you share your knowledge and take an interest in them...they're not just another customer/number in your day. They will come back when that next chip happens and when you remember them or something about them the business relationship is cemented. The rare times I'm less talkative is when I have 3-4 cars in and I need to concentrate on task at hand.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I like the customer to watch me doing the repair, but have had some customers who think I am over charging when they see how little time and effort it takes, especially on a simple bullseye or star break. What the customer does not understand is that we have overhead just like any other business. For instance, they seldom take into consideration the time and money windshield repair technicians put into marketing their business, vehicle expense, time to travel between jobs, time to process insurance claims and do our bookkeeping, etc., etc.

If lucky enough to sit in one location and have jobs lined up all day long, windshield repair can be extremely profitable, but the reality is that is rarely the case. If a customer is going to watch me repair their windshield I try to use the time to educate them on the benefits of windshield repair and also on the fact that the actual repair process is only one facet of the business.

If you call an appliance repair technician, or a computer repair technician you generally have to pay for travel time in addition to a minimum charge just to diagnose the problem, regardless of how long it takes them to fix it, or if they can fix it at all. Unfortunately many windshield repair technicians do not charge for travel time or to diagnose the problem, and insurance companies still don't like to pay for those services, so windshield repair technicians end up not getting paid for a great deal of their time.

I've seen some technicians that covered their work so the customer could not see the "magic" they were performing, but most of our customers say they enjoy showing their customers how the process works.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I dont mind them watching and if it looks like its going quick or real easy a little salesmanship leaves them feeling like they made a good choice like all jobs if you are going to have contact with the public you need to be likable and personable I have worked at dealerships where the service dept tech was great but you wouldnt want him talking to the customers :)
patriotwsr

Post by patriotwsr »

I enjoy it really. I explain the process and effects of what I'm doing. Most times they are fascinated. Being an auto technician for many years, the conversation usually turns to issues with their vehicle. Next thing you know the repair is done and I've earned a return customer.