Black Crack!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
mobilesmartrepairsys

Black Crack!

Post by mobilesmartrepairsys »

I went to a VW minibus which had a new starbreak and an old crack in the lower corner of the screen. I repaired the new starbreak and all was well. When I looked at the crack it was apparent that it had been repaired previously as it had been drilled and stopped, the customer asked if the appearance of the crack could be improved and I said yes I can fill the crack and it will dissapear.

The crack appeared to be relatively clean, no visible sign of debris or contamination, the screen was dry and the temperature was around 15 degrees.

I drilled a hole into the crack and injected the resin, fed the resin along the length of the crack (approx 9") and it filled fine, when I removed the injector off the screen I was surprised to see the crack had gone black in appearance and had not dissapeared.

I have never had this before, it's rather strange, any clues guys?
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Black Crack!

Post by Glasseye »

If the crack ran out to the edge of the screen, under the rubber, then the resin may have flowed out of the screen. To prevent this happening you need to fill and cure the crack as near to the edge as possible before filling the rest of the crack.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Hi, you were trained by GW right? Didn't they inform you about the 45/360 degree rule? You probably didn't look proper before you cured mate. Also; you work with a different injector (according to what I can see at the web site). Why did you remove the injector in the first place? Why not leaving it while you cure? Is that maybe against the systems' directions?
mobilesmartrepairsys

Post by mobilesmartrepairsys »

Guys - When I injectected the resin I started at the end furthest away from the screen edge, prior to injecting the resin the crack was silver in appearance, as I started filling the crack I could clesarly see the resin running through and the crack was filled with no evidence of air. Upon completion the end result was the crack had gone from silver to black in appearance.

I have filled hundreds of cracks and have never had this before!
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

screenman??
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

NEVER EVER USE THE WORD DISAPPEAR...
SGT

Post by SGT »

GlasWeldTech wrote:NEVER EVER USE THE WORD DISAPPEAR...
AMEN
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Amen too!!

Old cracks have dirt (contamination) in them much of the time. They can look just fine until you fill with resin, then they turn black. This may be what happened.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

Frank EU wrote:Hi, you were trained by GW right? Didn't they inform you about the 45/360 degree rule? You probably didn't look proper before you cured mate. Also; you work with a different injector (according to what I can see at the web site). Why did you remove the injector in the first place? Why not leaving it while you cure? Is that maybe against the systems' directions?
Please tell us about the 45/360 degree rule.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Starbreaks ..: Once you have 'filled' the damage with resin, prior to the curing step, you should look at any crack (so, that is 360 degr all round) and be looking at the individual cracks under an angle of 45 degr. Move your head slightly up and down (say for 10 cm/4 inch) if the crack 'disappears', the crack should normally be properly filled and ready to be UV cured. I would prefer a 'hands on example' and show this to you 'live' to make it more clear, but as you will understand, that is a bit complicated right here :D Try it yourself, it should work for you >whichever repair system you are using.