Video on repairing a crack

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Dean

Video on repairing a crack

Post by Dean »

I just saw a video on repairing a crack and they mixed salt, bug spray( in bottle ) alcohol and water together in a pan then wiped it across the crack with a brush 2wice! what's up with that? surely that doesn't really work does it?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Video on repairing a crack

Post by Brent Deines »

It depends on your definition of "work". It will fill the crack and make it look better temporarily, but so will spraying with with WD-40, filling it with transmission fluid, etc. These are all old tricks used by shady used car dealers and auction yards for many years. These home remedies are not going to stop a crack from spreading and they are not going to improve the appearance of the crack long term. Most importantly they contaminate the crack making it difficult for a professional to complete a quality repair.

To me it's like putting sawdust in the crankcase to quiet lifters and keep the engine from smoking. It will make a difference temporarily, but in the long run does more harm than good.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Video on repairing a crack

Post by Frank EU »

That is an old movie, it's been available for some time. I spotted it myself as well and recognized the old trick (but I remember it was about scratches?).
Indeed like Brent mentioned ''These are all old tricks used by shady used car dealers and auction yards for many years''. Some thirty years ago, these tricks were commonly used, and not just by shady used car dealers, also many official car dealers used the trick. The same people also used to fill the windshield damages with baby oil to 'repair' chips or make it 'look better'. They always came away with it back than. Car sales is about appearance and the windshield is not coverred by the car dealer's warranty as that repair has been sitting there a long time (before ''we'' traded in the vehicle, ''it is not our work'').