Failed Windshield Repair

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
bmalover10

Failed Windshield Repair

Post by bmalover10 »

I went to have my windshield repaired (there was a small 1 inch crack from a rock that hit) and during the repair the technician broke the drill bit. Now I have a drill bit stuck inside my windshield. They said this would not be a problem and did not offer to replace the windshield even though they damaged it more.

Is this true, or will the drill bit cause the crack to get worse?
blovstad

Re: Failed Windshield Repair

Post by blovstad »

i can't imagine anyone drilling deep enough to break off a burr bit!! i bought my equipment used from someone and they said the first step to repair was drill. I have repaired several now and not had to drill but a few times when I first started. Sorry for bad repair job!!
Clarity Glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Clarity Glass »

as long a the chip is filled at the tips it should not spread. Your windshield was already damaged when you came to the tech so they shouldn't have to replace it. Now I disagree with the tech not removing the bit. It can be removed by drilling a hole(s) next to the bit and pulling it out. It leaves an ugly scar. Bits do break due to overuse and not replacing when dull. It has happened to me twice in six years--very embarrassing. Is the surface of the chip smooth or can you feel the bit sticking above the surface? If it is above the surface is it in your wiper sweep? Sorry to hear of your negative experience. Windshield repair is a great service, I hope this will not scare you away from it if you have another chip in the future.
bullseyeben

Post by bullseyeben »

I orderes some bits last month from Delta and have used 2 of them, both broke the first time I used them, now the portion that is left works great. I am not sure why these are breaking when they are brand new. I have never broke on before.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

When you drill, you should move the drill bit in a slight circular motion so that the hole is slightly larger than the bit. That way, the bit cannot stick or break.
I broke the drill the first hole I drilled at DK training. It has never happened again since I started moving the drill bil in a slight circular motion as I drill.
quietman

Post by quietman »

Yep!
screenman

Post by screenman »

Why?
scott19750

Post by scott19750 »

hi screenman

been advised to contact you regarding setting up my own business. Currently working in the business for another company but want to try it on my own. I have a website under construction but dont want to open it until i know the business can go forwards. I have generated alot of contacts/businesses and know for a fact you can do £1000 in a few days but see paying the company i work for a large precentage of all work i have done is very excessive!!!

Any help or advice would be great though.

thanks
screenman

Post by screenman »

Hi Scott, I have just sent you a PM with my numbers on.
Crack_King

Post by Crack_King »

If you break the bit, try a magnet to pull the bit right out.....works 90% of the time
Look at life through the windshield, not the rear-view mirror