Networks

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
CV Windshield Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Networks

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

For those who are on the networks, are you getting any referals other then your regular customers who request your company? I have been on the networks for about 15 years, at first I was getting plenty of referals however over the last several years I have received very few. I have been considering getting off the networks and billing the insurance company direct. Is anyone doing this and if so how big of a hassle is it? If I don't get very many referals I really don't see the need to be on them. I can think of some advantages for not though, for starters if a customer gets their windshield repaired and say 6 months later decides they want a new windshield the network cannot back charge you for the repair. A few years ago I repaired a long crack for a retail customer who paid for the repair. The customer then sends the invoice to their insurance for reimbursment which they do. However since what I had charged to repair a long crack was more than what they paid for a rock chip repair I was charged the difference by the network and it was deducted from one of my other invoices. I really do not see the benefit of being on a network any longer?
speedyprowsr

Re: Networks

Post by speedyprowsr »

I've been in business for 18 years and have never used a network. If I have a customer who wants to go through their insurance, I have them call their claims center, usually Safelite Solutions or Lynx, and request our shop for the repair. The network will call me and ask if I accept the pricing. If I accept, they will either fax or more recently email me their workorder with referal/claim/dispatch number and any additional information that is needed on my invoice, such as complete VIN number, date of loss, etc. After the repair is complete, I make an extra copy of the networks workorder for my records along with my invoice. I then send the network a copy of my invoice and there original workorder. It takes anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks to receive payment.

I have thought about enrolling in some of the major glass networks, but have heard from too many glass people, just as yourself, that aren't receiving referals. Anyone else have any experience with the glass networks?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Speedy,

Do you have to pay to submit your invoice to Lynx or any of the other networks? Do you fax or e-mail the work order back to them?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ChampionCHIP,wsr

Post by ChampionCHIP,wsr »

i've said this before on this forum, and i'll say it again. i am averageing approx. 70+ referrals a month especially since safelite started there national ad campaign about 4 months ago. the networks mostly lynx has been very busy, as you can tell by the dispatch numbers. they are blowing thru numbers. when i tell there reps that some across the country get little or no calls the can't believe it cause they are so busy. can not answer why i get so many (there are probly 10 or more i can't answer calls) but i am not complaining, comes at a time when used car sales are sucking.
paul
everest_4

Post by everest_4 »

ChampionCHIP,wsr wrote:i've said this before on this forum, and i'll say it again. i am averageing approx. 70+ referrals a month especially since safelite started there national ad campaign about 4 months ago. the networks mostly lynx has been very busy, as you can tell by the dispatch numbers. they are blowing thru numbers. when i tell there reps that some across the country get little or no calls the can't believe it cause they are so busy. can not answer why i get so many (there are probly 10 or more i can't answer calls) but i am not complaining, comes at a time when used car sales are sucking.
paul
I think you are the only fortunate guy on here to get that much work from the networks.
Mindy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Mindy »

We are averaging about 1 referral per week. For those of you billing the networks directly, what has been your experience? In particular I wondered what your experience with online invoicing has been like.
CV Windshield Repair

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

Speedy,

When you agree to the network pricing are you paid the entire amount or are any fees deducted from your check? One of the problems that I see of having the customer call in is the probility of the network steering the customer to another shop because you are not on their LIST, unless you have them call while you are standing there.
speedyprowsr

Post by speedyprowsr »

Brent,

About 3 years ago, I received a letter from Safelite Solutions, stating that they were going to start deducting $5.00 for each paper invoice submitted to them. They recommended that I join their network and submit electronically. Here we are 3 years later and I still am receiving full payment. Lynx has always paid without any fees. I really haven't seen any downside to submitting independently, but this of course may change at any time, depending on how we are force to submit claims in the future. For now I'm happy with how I do things. The most frustrating thing I have encountered with not being affiliated with a network is when the customer, after the repair is completed, decides that they want to go through their insurance. This takes a little more time when speaking to the networks as they usually like to give authorization prior to the repair being performed. But this being said, I have never had a claim refused because the customer didn't get pre-authorization. :twisted:
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

That's really great to hear speedy. I have not tried to fax claims to Lynx myself but have heard from many customers that they charge a significant fee for claims submitted by fax. Most technicians I talk to submit their claims to SGC though the SGC website.

Any problems with steering when your customer calls in the claim?

I think many other technicians are experiencing something very different so it will be interesting to hear from some of them, but I'm very pleased that you are able to bill though the networks without joining and without any major hassles or extra fees.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
speedyprowsr

Post by speedyprowsr »

Sorry everyone,

upon rereading my posts I realized that I didn't mention that I have been submitting by snail mail. Oop's.

Brent, as far as my customers being steered to another company, you bet I have this happen. Most of my customers though are adamant about who they take their vehicles to. I certainly lose a few to steering, but by and large I get most of those who call first. I know how high pressure the networks can be about steering. In May, my truck had the left rear door window smashed by vandals. When I called Farmer's Help Point to start the claims process, I told them who I wanted to do the replacement, a local replacement only company who sends me quite a lot of repair work. Anyway, the first thing the representative tried was the "that company isn't on our approved list" routine, "but we can sent one of our service personel out to replace it on site". Of course I replied that I wanted who I wanted. Then the representative said "our glass is guaranteed forever, does the glass shop you requested?" When I answered yes, the representative started with the "our approved company", not companies, "uses only top quality replacement glass, make sure the company you choose will do the same." I again said that I wanted this company. Finally they agreed and processed my claim. It's no wonder that more customers aren't steered away from us. I try to let my customers know that it's their vehicle and it's their choice of who they have repair their vehicle. I let my customers know that when they call, stand firm on who they want and don't cave into the sale pitch they may receive. :twisted: