General questions

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
chipmender
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

General questions

Post by chipmender »

Hello,
Could anyone answer these questions,

What is the shelf life of resins if stored properly?

Often when I am practicing on a star break the legs of the star will expand into a crack. What is the best way to prevent this and what is the best way to repair once this has happened.

Thank You
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: General questions

Post by screenman »

Sorry but I think we could do with a little more information. What type and make of resin, and really this is best answered by your supplier. What tools and equipment are you using, how much exprience you have, how hot is the temperature.

In the past we have answered questions only to be shot down for assuming the person asking is not trained etc. Although I do not suppose you may do this, a little about yourself will certainly help.
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

I would have to agree with the previous response. There are way too many Companies out there putting put Resins, and for anyone to just assume you're using what they're using, well.....we all know that what they say when you assume!!!

I think you can probably figure this out on your own......

If you have a bottle of resin that you just purchased, you accidentally leave it on the cowl of someones car directly in the sun, good chance the UV's will cure it and make it solid.....

If you have a bottle of resin and you keep it out the direct sun light, and you keep it in climate controlled environment, it will probably last you for a while.......

The question I have for you is.....

Do you not use it frequently enough that you shouldn't have to worry about how long it will last you?

JJH
screenman

Post by screenman »

Have to disagree slightly with the above post, if your resin is going off in the bottle then there is something wrong with that bottle. We have run tests here on the Delta bottles and never had the resin to set whilt still in the Delta container. We have left them out in direct sunlight all day and even put them in front of a UV light for a long time. We have had problems with bottles and supplies from other manufactureres in the past though, so again talk to your supplier.

ALL THAT SAID, BE ON THE SAFE SIDE AND KEEP ALL YOUR TOOLS/RESINS COVERED AT ALL TIMES.

Sorry about the shout, just making sure everyone heard.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

[quote][/quote]Often when I am practicing on a star break the legs of the star will expand into a crack. What is the best way to prevent this and what is the best way to repair once this has happened.
An uninstalled windshield will crack-out much easier than an installed one. The glass is much more unstable when not afixed to car windshield frame.