Traveling windshield repair - getting started

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
barenakedfamily
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by barenakedfamily »

Hey Delta forum, Stumbled on the forum surfing and looking for windshield repair information. Learn more about us at http://www.barenakedfamily.com.

Te get started in WR it appears that I need a good kit, a little training, some insurance, marketing, and getting paid.
1) Good kit - Delta vs. glass mechanix vs. who else?
2) VHS, forums, and some practice?
3) Insurance from RLI through some agent as posted...
3) Marketing - We travel and live in an RV. We are 'homebased' in Livingston, TX through a mail forwarding service - appears like an apt (X Dr. #0000, Livingston, TX 77399). Plan is to add windshield repair as a service in RV parks across the USA, Alaska, and Canada, (eventually Mexico?) and bill by the RV owners insurance.
4) Getting paid - Any ideas about having my DBA/license/tax#'s in Texas, making a repair in California/Arizona/Alaska/Canada/New England and billing the vehicle owners insurance?!? What does the insurance companies typically require from a WR person in terms of tax#'s and location repaired, payment sent to and how, etc...

Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Greg http://www.barenakedfamily.com
DaveC

RLI insurance and "on the road" windshield repair

Post by DaveC »

Greg,

As well, check through the archives. I recall several folks posting that there really is big (cash)money in RV windshield repair and that these folks would travel to the big shows and keep very busy.

Personally, I would have to agree with Gary. Stick to cash for such a wide territory and let your customers deal with insurance claims. You may even consider an answering service so that you never miss calls while on the road:)
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

Hello Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

When you register with Safelite, Lynx, etc. for the purpose of billing the clients' insurance companies through them, you do have to meet their requirements. Even though the majority of windshield repair is provided via mobile service, some of the networks want a physical address as well as a mailing address. This is true also for getting a business license in most states. Inquire with your mail forwarding service for the possibility of using that physical address. The networks only mail to the address you designate for receiving mail, but they still want a physical office location.

As for how far from home base you can operate as a mobile service, I dont know that there is any limit. I am in New Mexic, but have done repairs in California, Colorado and Oklahoma with no problem from the insurance companies or the networks. I am, after all, mobile. When my husband retires, we have talked about setting up a circuit for doing repairs. Traveling in our motor home, and making a schedule to provide repair service to towns where it isnt already available. Going north in the summer, and more south in the winter, and including in our travel visits to family and friends along the way. If we do implement this plan, I am not anticipating any problems from the networks or the insurance companies.

As for your question regarding which system to use:

Delta makes one of the best systems available. Their resin is also one of the best. The decision not to go with Delta had nothing to do with their equipment.

I use Glass Technology systems. I have both the 20/20 and the VP-5000. I prefer the 20/20 for most repairs, although the VP-5000 has certain advantages too.

All I know about the Glass Mechanix system is what I have read in the forums. People either love it, or they hate it. I have their promotional tape, but havent looked at in a while. If theirs is one that features a hand pump, you might find it difficult to use if you dont have good gripping strength in your hands. If your wife is going to be doing repairs also, this is a consideration especially for her. Not sure if they also have a powered system? Either way, shop carefully.

The windshield repair suppliers and equipment companies all are very generous with the materials they will send. Contact each of them and request information. Many of them have videos showing repairs in progress with their equipment, and most will send free samples of resins and other products, as well and catelogs and training information.

I wish you success in this business. Grace.
barenakedfamily

Post by barenakedfamily »

Thanks for the comments! Helps a lot. The mail forwarding address we have looks like a permanent address - we'll just use that. Gonna poke around the forum some more to learn about billing and such.
Take care.
-Greg
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Sounds to me like you should try Deltas ACT service a little more expensive than billing the insurance companys yourself but well worth it especialy since the direct deposit to your bank act when they get paid. Being mobile is great but makes mail etc slow to you and im sure you dont always get near a branch of your bank. ACT would sure make it easy
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

GlassStarz wrote:Sounds to me like you should try Deltas ACT service
Just to clarify, ACT is not owned by us, it's owned by a competitor of ours. We just like the service they provide, so we recommend them to some customers.
Delta Kits, Inc.
WIN-1

Ready to start

Post by WIN-1 »

It was after I joined this group that I got onto the networks, matter of fact, even today am still getting on with the networks. Fact is Lynx & Safelite( Spit) say for us not to turn any business down because they know it's such hassle to get on with the netwoks,...& they want to have your business, rather than have you go around them!
1)They'll pay you without being an approved shop! Save your $100-
or better yet, send it to me?:~)

2)I'm using RLI insurance & they won't list the F'n networks as add'l insured- which is fine since I'm a repair only shop anyway- not a Replacement company.
3)You can get your faxes sent as an attachment to an email address for Cheeeap! I use AirComUsa & have no problem.
4)The Good Sam's group is a Golden Goose nesting on the ground. for Windshield Repair. They have selected vendors as you probably already know- but they're so danged busy you could sub-contract at the Rally/Jamboree.
BTW- I talked to a happy camper & he said a guy could go through a short RV repair class & get a certification, allowing him to make a KILLING following the snowbirds around.
5) I called ACT & their rates are higher to the ins. companies, therefore the $14.95 is absorbed and your customer spends less time getting hassled on the phone by Lynx ( Spit) operators.
Direct deposit sounds good, but I'm checking around first.
Question to the BareNakedfamily- "how did you slip off and not leave all your STUFF a forwarding address? Mine always finds me sooner or later!
GRT

Post by GRT »

Everyone keeps talking about the additional insured for Safelite and Lynx. I got RLI insurance through the northeast agency which is written by allstate at least in Texas. The agent told me that the additional insured was bunk and the networks are supposed to know this, and if I had any problems the agent would call the networks. Well I had no problems and I have no additional insureds.

Better to be Lucky than Good, :twisted:

Gary T.