GEICO Inspects...!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

GEICO Inspects...!

Post by Frank EU »

GEICO Announces It May Require Inspections for Future Windshield Repairs and Replacements. GEICO's Glass Claims department, has begun notifying shops on its network that it may begin requiring inspections of windshields prior to the completion of repairs or replacements. "When our insured files a glass claim with us, and advises us that your shop will be performing a windshield repair or replacement, pursuant to our insurance contract, we may require an inspection of the windshield prior to authorizing the completion of the work," writes the Glass Claims Department. "Based on the outcome of the inspection, we will proceed accordingly."

The above is copied from glassBytes and man, I really LOVE this news.
Now it becomes a matter of really doing it.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: GEICO Inspects...!

Post by just chippen away »

let me guess, they will send out a safelite rep to inspect and steel the job...
Just Chippen Away
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

JustChippenAway:

Yes, I thought that myself.
So I need to add: I love this news.....as long as all vendors are treated fairly and in an equal manner.
And yes: that SHOULD include Safelite. But let us just wait for the GEICO comments and pick it up from there.

But the best way to be saving REAL money is of course to be using REPAIR ONLY guys, send them first and let them inspect the damaged windshields.
Repair the damage instantly and when it needs a replacement, well, at that point it is early enough to replace that piece of glass.
Insurance- and leasing companies have been too long believing the bed time stories told by the Safelites in this world.
It also would be much better if insurance companies just stopped waiving, started to calculate on the real cost, introduced hefty ''own risk'' payments when people have their glass replaced for no reason (ie: what we, as Repair Only guys WOULD repair!) and stop promoting certain wsr vendors such as Safelite.
just chippen away

That is how the network started years ago. NOVUS and St. Farm had that started by sending out a NOVUS Rep out to see if the damage was repairable, if so, REPAIR it. If not it would go to another shop of no connection to replace the glass. This was done in the state of Utah for a 1/4 of a year to see how much they could save, then it went nation wide, then the rest of the Ins. companies jumped on line.....
Just Chippen Away
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

And guess what: it worked well back then. Do not tell me it does not.
Today it is all about political bull and I regret to say that I cannot even ignore that there must be a lot of bribing going on.
All insurance companies should wake and wise up, review their current agreements and the way they have been operating for the last years because their all new Modus Operandi (the silly one shop stop idea) did NOT bring the huge savings they were promissed in the first place and will never do -and I do know that for a fact.

It has been surprising me for many, many years that insurance companies talk ''green'' but do NOT act as green as they should.
It is really easy and can be started today. Repair Only guys do know what I am talking about.
BY the way: where is the NWRA when it comes to this, it became very quiet.
just chippen away

Back then they also had a network called RON "Repair Only Network" If I remember right it was owned by Paul Gross? We got first shot over the repair / replacement shops

Some other old timer Tech, correct me if I am wrong.
Just Chippen Away
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

There may be background history to this originating from the UK via Autoglass UK ( Belron) to Safelite US ( Belron). Autoglass adopted a practise of actively inviting the ABI ( Association of British Insurers ) to select at random, customers who had received service from them, and then for their representative to accompany an auditor to visit the customer and inspect the work done. This was as a result of a major fraud that was uncovered by the ABI by another company and to give the ABI confidence in Autoglass operating standards. Needless to say it worked very well and reinforced their partnership with the ABI.
D2D

Post by D2D »

Thank you, Frank, for mentioning the stellar "leadership" of the NWRA!

This new proposal from GEICO sounds like it came from the same guys that thought up this years version of the NFL Pro Bowl, LOL!

So, how exactly is this supposed to work? How convenient will this be for the insured? Will they tolerate it? And of course, who (SGC techs) do you think will be waiting onsite or nearby to do the repairs?
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

Hi there, I am just wondering how much does Geico pay for a Windshield repair?? they have just come into the Mass area??? Here in Mass SAFETY INSURANCE require a Glass Shop to take a digital photo of a repair??? and then E-mail over to the insurance company? otherwise the glass shop would be installing a windshield?????????????
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

I did a GEICO job yesterday and they paid a flat rate of 60.