On The Job Training?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
pohlmeyr
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by pohlmeyr »

Would any body in the Texas DFW area be willing to let a new guy in on some valuable secrets on WSR? I am very new to this industry and would like some real world experience before i go and buy anybody's kit! I have a full time job but, am looking for some extra income. I have a whole lot of questions that i feel can only be answered by actually doing and watching the job happen. I also would like to take this time to thank everybody here as there is a whole lot of great info here. I real quick question: How do i know who has the best equipment and waht to look for? Glass Mechanix's look grea and so do some other's but from what i have been reading i am so far parcel to the Delta kits ( i also work for Delta Airlines) maybe i just like the word Delta. Thanks again for all your help

The new Guy
Keith
maxryde

On The Job Training?

Post by maxryde »

Welcome Keith,
I checked out your web page, Cool.
While I am not in the DFW area I thought I could mabey help. First get the kit, I have Delta but they all claim superiority so my thought is Individual preference as far as tools go. If you research you'll find subtle differences that can affect the repair ability'(s) of the user. If you see a kit you like start with that! You can adjust or add gear as you go. Second AND most Important PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! While you may find someone to team up and learn with, you'll find this is not rocket science. Not to minimize the importance of doing good work or that this is just point and shoot because its not! It's an ongoing learning experience for us all. This forum and your supplier/distributor will provide the support for a good start. That is the experience I have had. I can only speak for the folks at delta when it comes to support from suppliers but I believe the others should be helpfull. I'm still pretty new to so check around. The guys in the biz were somewhat vague when I posed the ? of what to buy to start. I am happy with the gear I purchased so far and plan to add some other as I go. Some of the other distributors have suggested I trade in my kit claiming theirs is superior but they all make the same claim. My stuff works well, it is simple. and I enjoy using it, they won't give much off to change what I am using so.... Any way good luck and we'll look forward to the next post 8)
GlassStarz

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

Post by GlassStarz »

Myself I bought a kit watched the tape read the manuals and talked a freind who owned a wrecking yard into letting me fixx everything going into the crusher till i got it right then I worked on the good glass in the yard. Trial and eror and alot of practice
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Keith,
I am in the Dallas area. I have been fixing chips for 12 years now. Shoot me an e-mail and I would be happy to give you my phone number. I do train people all the time. Let me know.
David
Coitster
Glass
pohlmeyr

Post by pohlmeyr »

Thanks coister for the invite! I will be contacting you this week after some holiday celebrating today. Thanks to everybody else who has something to input. I need all the help i can get.

-Keith