Air in Bullseye?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Jonathan

Re: Air in Bullseye?

Post by Jonathan »

Fuzz wrote:According to my Delta instruction manual (and the videos I beleive) it implies that you finish in the vacuum cycle. Could you please further explain?

Since I am unable to attend a Delta class due to the travel costs ( I'm from Texas and I dont fly), I rely on the instruction manual. So if there is misinformation within the manual could you please explain further.

Thanks
Fuzz,
I just watched our training DVD again to try and see what you were referring to. The bridge is removed at the 8:38 minute mark under the pressure cycle. I believe our instruction manual says the same thing. Could you please reference which page number you believe says to remove the bridge during the vacuum cycle? If it truly says that, we will want to get that changed, but again, I believe it says to remove the bridge after your 3rd pressure cycle. Thanks.
kennycrane
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by kennycrane »

Hey thanks alot Korey. I appreciated your help on the phone this morning. I am sure that since I had switched to a different eye dropper I simply did not have enough resin in the break, causing the air bubbles to never be replaced. Also thanks for the Invoice with my Business Logo on it for me. I appreciate all of you guys at Delta
Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Ouch, I just wrote a ridiculously long reply to you Jonathon and my internet went nuts when I tried to post. Once I got internet back I had lost the post.

Anyway, the manual doesn't state whether to finish in a pressure or a vaccum cycle. On step 13 page 6 it reads " pressure and vacuum cycle" and then says " alternate between a 1 minute pressure and a 30 second vacuum cycle for several complete cycles". And then once you move on to step 14 it just states to loosen the suction cup knob and swivel the injector off the repair....When you are satisfied with the repair, remove the bridge..."

That implies to me that you start with pressure and then end with vacuum.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused but even after knowing that i am supposed to finish in the pressure cycle it still reads to me like I am supposed to finish in the vacuum cycle.

I am just glad I am catches this now. Thanks for helping!
Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

After rewatching the bullseye and combination repair videos on the site it also seems to leave out that you are to go back to a pressure cycle and then remove, although now that I knwo i can see the tech appears to do so, but it is not said on there. The star break video does show to remove in the pressure cycle though.

Time for me to go Practice somemore! lol
Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I just had someone else who has never done or seen a repair read the manual and attempt a mock repair without any input from me. She finished the repair on a vacuum cycle.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Fuzz,

After taking another look at the section you referred to, I understand where you're coming from. That section is not worded very well. We are making the necessary corrections now. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and making me look bad! :D
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

It makes sence that most would finish that way you relieve the pressure before pulling the injector off the glass to avoid the big squirt
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

That may be true with other systems, but that is not the way to get good repairs with a Delta Kits system, and there should not be enough resin or pressure with our system to create a big squirt. We use low pressure, only a few drops of resin, and no air!

That may also explain why some technicians feel the need to cure under pressure. Ending in the vacuum cycle will almost always result in air remaining in the break. Again, I can only speak for the Delta Kits system, but you will not get the most out of our system if you end your repair in the vacuum cycle.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am just glad that the issue was caught and for me it was good timing since I have yet to start charging for repairs. I have mostly had success with the way I was doing it so I really didnt feel there was a problem. Most repairs are invisible, but there were a few I have done that i just couldnt figure out why there was still air in the break, now i know.

I have a few breaks to practice on tomorrow so ill post up that experience with my newly found knowledge when I get the chance.

Thanks Jonathon for the phone call.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

I use GT's equipment, one which contains a vacuum/pressure gauge. I always remove my injector while under 20lbs. pressure without any squirt. I usually perform a repair between 35-45 lbs of pressure.