Air in Bullseye?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Air in Bullseye?

Post by candyman »

Good Morning Folks. I use DK products and in the past few days I have had a few things happen that I had not experience in the past. I repaired a small bulls eye yesterday. It filled quickly. I removed the bridge and saw Mbond ooze from the break and no black areas. I started keeping my Pit resin plastic bottle turned upside down about 2 weeks ago. My vehicle inside temp is getting hotter during the day and that is where I keep my WSR kit. I removed the cap of the bottle and some build-up was around the nozzle tip. I wiped off the tip and and as I applied a drop to the break it sort of oozed out or bubbled out. So I squeezed one more drop and applied a 1" square plastic curing tab over the break. I watched it flaten out an it appeared like it had pushed the air bubbles away from the break. After I removed the tab I noticed a few small black spots in the top of the break.

I later repaired a small half inch star. When I removed the cap of the pit resin, again I saw the same type of build-up around the nozzle and some was actually dried to a rubbery like condition. The cap was on tight.
I wiped it off and the pit resin seemed to have little bubbles in it as I tried to squeeze a drop out. I applied this just below the repair and using the tab to spread it as it lays down. The bottle is almost empty. My question is this. Due to the heat should I go back to storing the pit resin bottle right-side-up, then turn it upside down just prior to using it? Or, could this be because the bottle is less than 1/4 filled & warm/hot? I plan to use a new bottle on the next repair. Once a drop of pit resin is applied to the break area and we see the bubbles, can it be wiped off without creating a problem to the repair and reapply?

Candyman.
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

Candyman I have been having the same problem lately. I have been storing my pit resin upside down and when I use it the cap is full it has set there and leaked out. after I take the cap off I have to be careful because it wants to drip out of the bottle before I get the bottle in place. I dont know how much is left in the bottle, but I think I will try a new one today.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

You don't have to store the bottle upside down, it just helps minimize the bubbles trapped in the resin as it comes out of the tip. Try turning the bottle upside down a couple of minutes before you need it and see how that works for you. That works well for me, but I find that a lot of technicians forget to do that which is why we recommend storing pit resin upside down.

Often we see technicians store their bottles upside down, but turn it right side up when they remove the cap. If at any time you turn the bottle right side up prior to squeezing out a drop of resin you have defeated the purpose of storing it upside down.

Frankly if you apply the resin just below the break and use the curing tab to carefully slide the resin up and over the pit area you should be able to control bubbles anyway, but for some reason we see a lot of technicians struggle with that simple technique, which again, is why we started recommending keeping the pit resin bottle upside down for a few minutes prior to needing it.

If you did not get all of the air out of the break you may get some small air bubbles that migrate up after you remove the bridge and place the curing tab. Make sure you are not seeing any air movement in your last vacuum step, then remove the bridge only after your final 2 minute pressure step.

In my case I find that I have to be much more careful to watch for bubbles in the break and in the pit resin prior to curing than I used to for one simple reason. My eyesight is nowhere what it used to be! It sucks getting old.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan wrote:Fuzz,

After taking another look at the section you referred to, I understand where you're coming from. That section is not worded very well. We are making the necessary corrections now. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and making me look bad! :D
Our manual has been corrected. To be sure there is no doubt left in anyone's mind, here are some pictures of what the bridge/injector looks like before being removed.
Remove while in Pressure Cycle...Correct!
Do NOT remove while in Vacuum Cycle!
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

Is the rest of the manual posted online?
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

Not at this time, as we are still in the process of updating it.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks guys for fixing that. I hope I didnt cause too much trouble bringing this up! But as always you guys show top notch customer service and get right on any issue anyone has. I wish more businesses had even a fraction of the CS skills you guys have.
pickmaster60

Post by pickmaster60 »

I agree, Delta Kits is outstanding for prompt, courteous and superb customer service. I never hesitate doing business with them!
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

When I am applying the pit fill resin I place the resin just above the surface pit and then let it flow naturally into the pit watching for any air bubbles forming. I use the edge of mylar patch to tease any air bubbles out before applying the patch gently to cover the resin ready for curing.