Having a somewhat difficult time getting things started.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
dnkies
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Having a somewhat difficult time getting things started.

Post by dnkies »

Hello All,

So Ive been up and running for about a month now and Ive done a few repairs here and there, but no where near enough to support myself. The repairs I have performed have been very well accepted by my customers and I know I am doing quality work, mainly because I am using good equipment and supplies from Delta ;) .

My problem has just been getting people to let me perform the repairs. Obviously there are chips EVERYWHERE out there. I walk parking lots and leave cards explaining the chip repair is free and yet I get very few repsonses.

Some people I talk to think that their insurance is going to go up if I bill their insurance for the repair.

I guess I am just asking you all for some input as to how is the best way to really get some business going. I know going from business to business is one way, but I keep getting the cold shoulder when I do approach people at work. Im wondering if any of you have tried going door to door in a residential neighborhood...but that just seems creepy to me. Anyways, maybe I am just ranting, but I could really use a few good ideas to get things going.

Thanks so much.
puka pau

Re: Having a somewhat difficult time getting things started.

Post by puka pau »

Acquiring and servicing some commercial accounts like fleets or car dealers will provide consistent repeat business. Fleets are generally self-insured for glass (have no comprehensive rider on their policy) so you would invoice them directly. Ditto for car dealers. Both types of accounts usually pay in seven to thirty days. Both types of accounts have employees who have families, who have friends and acquaintances, all of whom have vehicles that are potential candidates for repair. Once you have established that you are professional, ethical, perform competent work at a fair price and create an impression of being an all-around good person your network will grow exponentially. People do business with people they like and people tend to buy on the approval of others.
Don't expect to get insurance company rates for fleet vehicles or car dealer inventory. These are wholesale venues and depending on your geographic location you can expect to charge on average about fifty percent of retail. However, every viable business both needs and generally has repeat business. Repeat business means steady income. I always considered fleet and car dealer work first and regarded whatever retail business I got as icing on the cake. True, you don't make as much money per repair but you perform more repairs and you get an opportunity (with fleets) to monitor your results over time.
The more repairs you do, the more fluent you become. The more fluent you become, the more at ease you are. The more at ease, the more professional your demeanor. The more professional your demeanor, the more you inspire trust and respect from your customers. It takes a lot longer to get to that point doing two or three repairs a day than it does if you do two or three an hour.

Cheers;

Puka Pau
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

dnkies wrote:
Some people I talk to think that their insurance is going to go up if I bill their insurance for the repair.
Have you considered trying to sell those people a cash repair?
If they get a chip that cracks they will finish up spending even more on a replacement deductable, at that point they could be out hundreds, plus all the hassles of getting the job done, not only that but if they think a $75 repair will increase their Insurance premiums common sense should tell them a replacement might increase their premiums even more, The repair looks like the best way to go in my opinion, it will save them money.
Good Luck to you.
SeeClearly

Post by SeeClearly »

Where are you located...what state?
dnkies

Post by dnkies »

Hi,

Im in Central California