Help, I'm being invaded by Hacks

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
StellarChip

Help, I'm being invaded by Hacks

Post by StellarChip »

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to vent and ask for a bit of advice. My service area, which is being serviced by 3 or 4 different ws repair companies, has been invaded by 2 hacks recently. All of my customers have been telling me about these 2 knuckle heads who've been selling "repairs" and I use that term loosly, for 20 bucks. I've seen their work and its pitifull. Looks like a few drops of resin and a mylar square. Some of the repairs still had mylar squares on them. It's a shame cause it really screws up our image. Anyhow, I'm not too worried about them, I know they will never pass the test of time but it still makes it difficult on me because, as we all know, some used car dealers really don't care about anything but price. I struggle trying to come up with something to say and not sound like a jerk. I don't like to bad mouth anyone but just about any comment that comes out of my mouth is going to be negative because their repairs suck so badly. Guys, its unbeleiveable the crap they are peddling. I'd like to pass out flyers that state "We fix 20 dollar repairs", lol. I know its possible to re-repair a ws, but I've never really had success with trying to do that in a way that looks acceptable. On the bright side, my repairs of late have been really good. I've slowed down and followed just about all the advice I've been given and the results are nothing short of fantastic and my customers have been floored. I created a great 5x7 flyer in the style of the "in the chips guy" and they are working well. I have a .psd file If anyone would like it. I own an autoglass replacement and repair company thats well on its way to becoming an autoglass repair and replace only when neccessary compnay. Loads of fun and excitement thanks to all of you.

Mark C Brown
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Help, I'm being invaded by Hacks

Post by Mr Bill »

You get what you pay for, and the hacks obviously know what their repairs are worth.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Don't worry too much about it. Aren't we all invaded by the hacks at one point?
They're like a virus. It has always been like this, but in these tough times it just appears to become worse.
And here's one of the reasons: any idiot feels that he/she should be doing this indeed can start doing this, especially since the start up is within reach of (too) many (fools). Low investment, no training, no marketing, no professionalism, just here for the quick buck. Littering and poisening the matketplace.

Back to the Mylar.
They leave the film sitting on the glass for two reasons:
-they simply ''forgotten' about it (how professional)
-they leave it there to let the sun cure their ''work''
Both are not good.

Keep up doing your own thing.
Good luck.
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

I guess it's been a little over a year now, but there's a Company that's hiring on people and training them quickly, and sticking them at Gas Stations. These guys will invade your space, and even when you say NO THANKS!, they will say something under their breath like, "Don't call me when your Windshield Cracks Out because you won't repair it!". In my opinion, that's uncalled for.

These guys will convince you that the tiny little surface Chips NEED to be repaired immediately or else. The reason, well it's simple. If you have Full Coverage, you can get up to 3 Repairs for free, so what do they do 99% of the time, make sure they convince you to repair 3 chips, no matter if they're ACTUAL or SURFACE.

So, lets say 2 months go by and you're still within your 6 month policy and BANG!, you get another chip(a real one), you will have to pay out of pocket now, unless you're real close with your Insurance company and they hook you up.

Hacks.....they're EVERYWHERE and in EVERY Industry!
ChampionCHIP,wsr

Post by ChampionCHIP,wsr »

never heard of waiting to get a repiar, six months i think was stated. i've repaird vehilces 4 5 times a year, and not a problem when a call is made to ins. co.
perhaps it is a state thing.
paul
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

Yes, I know the feeling. There is not much you can do,, in time they will price them selvs out of buz. No to mention the low quality work.
scrubs147

Post by scrubs147 »

I live in an RV resort where about 90% of the people here have RVs, I also do detailing. While detailing an RV (wash & Wax), I'll see a repair that looked like it still needs to be repaired. When I ask if they want their windshield repaired I get the same reply. They'll say, "we just got back from Alaska and that's where we picked up a rock chip, so that's where we got it fixed.

Apparently there are lots of windshield repair people in the State of Alaska because of most of the roads which are mainly gravel. However, the quality of repairs I see coming out of that state yields much to be desired.