Suggestions Needed!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
muckin's

sub contracting

Post by muckin's »

Hello room I have a lot to say were should I start? First I am glad to find this form, something I hope will be good for me and point me into the right direction to make some money!
I am looking to get in to the rock chip repair business. I have a machine from Glass Technology that was a gift from my x boss after he closed the doors of a 10 minute oil and lube shop, this rock chip machine was just an additional service! So after 2 years of this top notch machine sitting in the back room getting dusty, I am wanting to make some money but have a lot of thoughts in my head needing answers. Like what is the best type of vehicle, I have seen small car to big vans. Also when is the right time to quit my job I have right now to do this 100%? Or should I try to do this part time to see if it will fly? If I do it part time will my customers think I am a fly by business that won't stand by my work?
I think there are 6 to 7 other businesses in my community that do this same kind of service! Is there room for one more? And how can I get the big fleet customers to consider me instead of the others that might already have them! And when I talk to business managers are there any sales pointers you might want to share that helped YOU get new cliental?[/quote]
desertstars

Suggestions Needed!

Post by desertstars »

Jeez.

I could write a book.

My best advice is to read the past posts.

Every question is answered, muckin's, with the possible exception of what kind of vehicle to start with.

Why would you need a van to carry w/s repair equipment?
muckin's

Post by muckin's »

I was just thinking about a van for more advertisement! But this is not necessary? A small car for better gas ? :?:
desertstars

employee?

Post by desertstars »

A small car or a Cadillac STS or SLS with a 300hp Northstar engine if you want a ride in style because that is all you need.

As for the other questions, you will find beaucoup info within the first post of this forum.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

muckins,

Welcome to windshield repair. You dont say what the population of your area is, or if you have researched your "competition" to see how many of them are devoting full time to windshield repair. If some of them are replacement shops that happen to also offer repair, or if they are specializing in something else ( oil & lube, or PDR, for example), and offering chip repair simply as an add-on, these will probably not count as hard-core competition.

I dont know what you consider a "big" fleet? While initially it might seem great to lock into a deal that will keep you busy all day every day, I would be very careful about putting all the eggs in one basket. I would rather have 10 companies with 100 vehicles each, than one company with 1,000 to service. That way, if one drops you or goes out of business or decides to train their own maintenance person in wsr, you still have the other 9 to continue working with. But if you are working full time for just one fleet, it can get pretty hairy if for whatever reason, you find yourself not working for them any longer.

As for what vehicle to drive... I'd suggest that it is a matter of choice... there is really no 'wrong' vehicle. But whatever you drive, remember that it does reflect your professional image, so keep it in good repair, neat and clean, and if you drive around with your name on the vehicle... either lettering or magnetic signs, remember to mind your manners ... people might remember you fondly if you are patient and kind in traffic .... but they most certainly remember you if you're not. ( I have a real difficult time impressing this on my hubby, who loves to 'express' himself in traffic at the slightest provocation ... so I dont let him drive my truck unless its absolutely necessary). :roll:

The first thing you need to do is get trained, and then practice, practice, practice. GT offers free training, regardless what system you own. If you are close enough to Durango to go there, give them a call. It is well worth it to go there and get hands-on instruction. If you cant get there, though, they are very generous with their time with technical support by phone. As for practice, get a scrap windshield from a replacement shop and make stars and bullseyes on it, and start practicing.

I wish you success in this business.

Grace
Ridge Runner

Post by Ridge Runner »

Mr.Muckins, desertstars is,as per usuality,on it. I monitored a long time b4 registering ( all the posts which are now a part of the archives). You need to read all the archived posts,then past posts, up to present. When you have assimilated all the helpful info previously posted,if you still have questions, ask & you will receive. As for the right vehicle & graphics, Eric ( owner of "Optic-kleer) has some outstanding input (recent links) You stated you want to "make some money". Don't we all?!! Hone your repair skills until you're satisfied with your results (practice windshields), THEN work on marketing, Jim