Insurance Network Question

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Ok Jeff,

Your right. Tom Howard ( Glass_Meister) may be sincere in his inquires to this forum. He presents himself well and seems to be very educated with insurance information. Personally, I feel he needs to direct more of his questions towards repairs. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

I'm sorry for saying this but I feel his intent is directed towards replacement and not repairs! Not once has he mentioned anything about improving his companies repair ratio or even asking that simple question.

That unfortunately leaves the rest of us in a confused state of mind!
glass_meister
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by glass_meister »

Thank you Delta for seeing this for what it is.

Thank you Starquest for bringing up some issues that I did not know existed in my world. I never knew that steering by auto glass companies such as Safelite, Harmon and maybe a few other big boys were putting the pinch on WSR technicians.

I will tell you that I do 90% of our companies repairs when they come into the shop. In the past 6 months I have only refused one customer a repair due to a bad combo break in the critical viewing area (yes - we adhere to the NWRA guidlines). I did not do the repair, so he went across the street to have the repair done. We did the right thing - stuck to the honest business practices that we would hope all would follow.

Starquest - you made a comment that I have been following on another post about sub contracted help. "My suggestion to Tom is....forget about wasting your management time or money on setting up a satellite location for referrals. Align your company with one or two professional repair independents and have them help you get replacement jobs. You might be suprized by the results!" I will keep you up to date on how that progresses.

As I have talked to David and you have suggested - I will now go onto another question about equipment on another post.

For now, thank you for the help in this area. It has been enlightening both from the original question and the mindset of the WSR world.

Tom
It is simple.....grow or die.
Ridge Runner

Where in TX

Post by Ridge Runner »

glass meister (Tom), Thanks for elaborating. I hope that you or no one else believes I was calling your character (or integrity) into question. My only concern was, as already stated, in reference to the statement I quoted. If you have any questions as to why WSR techs might be a little defensive, please check out National Windshield Repair Association Home Page & read "Windshield Repair Under Attack". I hope when you are doing repairs yourself you derive as much genuine satisfaction from turning a bad looking combo break with the flower effect into a finished repair the client is really pleased with. Such repairs have, not infrequently, resulted in referrals & even some nice tips. I have done many replacements in the past & really dislike doing them. My replacement opportunities are now referred to a friend who dislikes doing repairs. Has worked nicely so far. I love doing repairs! If that were not the case I'd never do another. Much success to you sir & thanks for your posts.
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

Hi, Tom.

I thought I was being particularly careful not to impugn your character or question your motives.

There is much good information in each of your posts and I read those kernals with particular interest.

On the other hand, parts of them also raised some legitimate questions and I'm glad those questions were asked.

There were many good anwers to some of your concerns.

The one that struck me as particularly apropos to your central question was the suggestion by Starquest to forget the satellite locations and work with repair shops on a referral basis.

That solves your problem and pleases us in return.

A win-win situation.

Unfortunately, this business is no longer the easy-going, laissez-faire enterprise that once made it so attractive to entrepreneurs in the past.

Ten years ago, this kind of thread would not even have existed.
StarQuest

I can't wait...

Post by StarQuest »

Tom,

I hope in some of my postings I didn't come off as pre-judging your character. Personally, after closing down my own glass business of 8 years I may have become somewhat biased in my opinions towards other glass facilities. I have to admit....you handled this forum like a champ! Your actually a pretty cool guy and your company is very fortunate to have you as their manager.

Just a few ideas that might help you bring up your autoglass #'s.

Search your area for a mobile repair tech that handles fleet rental and lease accounts. On average I find 5-6 windshields a week that need replacement.

If his referrals start to pan out for you and you feel comfortable....then possibly consider taking him under your wings! Send your best guy with him and let them train each other. Now you've found the perfect balance in both repair and replacement!

Just recently I was given the green light to replace anything I found because the fleet shop manager simply trusted me more then the glass company they've been using. They know my intentions are to save them money by a repair first and replace last policy. The great part is I only need to carry around about 5 differrent shields and already service these locations with repair. Makes it more cost effective down the line, knowing my drive time is reduced and I can mix,match and purchase glass by the palet.

Tom, I do wish you well in your quest!

Keep your post comming :wink:

Keith
glass_meister

Post by glass_meister »

Thank you Keith and the rest of you guys. It has been enlightening.

It is a funny thing. You would think that you can find good help with some drive and direction. It seems to be a bigger challenge than anticipated. I have been here seven months and just now secured a qualified replacement tech. We have a great opportunity here in the country - we just need to capitalize on it.

Several months ago, I was faced with a warranty job. Prior to my arrival, the shop did a repair and it left some elbow dents on the hood - ouch. After a 5 week search, I found someone who did PDR that serviced the area dealerships. Maybe he does WSR. I will check with him.

Otherwise, it may be a direct employee(s) that is fielded. I have some concerns with the sub contracted approach as you have posted on this subject.

Some good ideas guys - thanks.

Tom
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

glass_meister

What network "issues" are you refering to with regard to a mobile repair tech?

The only issue that comes to mind is getting a customer's signature on a faxed work order. I rarely do network jobs, but I believe they will let pass a signed invoice instead. Especially if you are signed up with the network. The networks realize that if you are out in the field, you don't have your fax machine in the car with you.

What other issues are unique to a mobile unit? How does a network or insurance company know if you or your guy is sitting in your shop or parked across from WalMart? If they did know, why would they care?
desertstars

Doing Insurance Jobs and not being on the Network...

Post by desertstars »

Hey, Tom.

My final post in this regard. (Hold the applause. This isn't a Dean Martin roast.)

Sounds like a small company that needs someone like you to move it in the right direction.

Now I need to duck and get out of the way before I am stampeded by the rush to apologize for our thin-skins and suspicions when it has anything to do with a replacement question from a primary replacement company extending further than a six-inch crack.

OK. You now have a qualified REPLACEMENT tech.

A necessary start since that appears to be your bread and butter intention.

Is it that difficult to find a good REPAIR-ONLY tech in your area rather than asking a PDR if he does repairs?

Unless that is his primary business, ask Delta or some other legitimate supplier to suggest a qualified REPAIR-ONLY tech in your area and contact that tech(s) and offer the previously suggested referral arrangement after analyzing his work. (Not to suggest that he also does other things as an add-on is cause to elimininate.)

Starquest's advice has merit, also.

"IT" didn't put dents on the hood. An idiot put dents on the hood simply because he either doesn't carry a two or three step ladder along with his kit or has pro football, Refrigerator Perry elbows.

That's NOT a qualified repair tech but you are excused because that occurred before your time.

Not that I think I have the right to grant absolution.

But, give me the name of the guy and I'll put a curse on him because he and his type gives repairing windshields a bad name.

I second the notion you are trying to do a good job and that you wish to honestly balance the differences between a necessary repair or a necessary replacement as long as repair is considered the first option.

Believe me, Tom. That's not always of paramount importance when the bottom-line comes into play and bills appear for pay.
glass_meister

Post by glass_meister »

See my post under Repair vs. Replacement. We have answered the questions on this post. Let's cover the other subject in more detail.

Tom