Slow in Florida or just me?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
APWR1

Slow in Florida or just me?

Post by APWR1 »

Since the snow birds have gone back north business has dropped by 25%.This is my first year doing business in Florida .Is this the norm for the summer or is it just that I've hit a bad spot in the referral rotation.Usually get about 10 a week & only got 1 from HSG & Gerber in the last 2 weeks.

Thanks
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Slow in Florida or just me?

Post by DryStar »

APWR1 wrote:Since the snow birds have gone back north business has dropped by 25%.This is my first year doing business in Florida .Is this the norm for the summer or is it just that I've hit a bad spot in the referral rotation.Usually get about 10 a week & only got 1 from HSG & Gerber in the last 2 weeks.

Thanks
To succeed in this business you can't rely on insurance referrals only. Get out and start marketing fleet and used car dealers.
RVB
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Slow in Florida or just me?

Post by RVB »

I've been working in FL for a while. I really don't do any insurance work (first because, at the end, I make more working with dealers.) In order to make a living doing WR in Florida you need to work with auto dealers. I've seen many people coming and going in this business. They start a WR operation and a little over a year they quit. Most retail customers in Florida will replace the windshield. The replacement business in FL is very competitive, and this fact has made many small local replacement companies very efficient. If a Floridian with comprehensive insurance in FL gets a damaged windshield and shares the information with a friend, the first thing the friend will say is: "no problem, call your insurance, they will change it for free". You are exactly right about the snowbirds, and your observation is very important. They, usually don’t carry Florida Auto Insurance, and possibly their policy won’t replace the windshield for free. The snowbirds will bring you business. However, when they leave you are faced with the reality of Florida.
Try to get away from the insurance business. Try to start with small independent high-end car dealers. If they already have a source, ask them to become their second option. Here in Florida you will find many small independent high-end auto dealers. They are, by most part, nice people. Just don’t give up. Keep your head up and don’t give up.