Looking for a Probe

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jonnyques

Looking for a Probe

Post by jonnyques »

Hi I'm looking to replace a probe I bought several years ago. I'm sure I bought this one from Liquid Resins.
It is the same physical body as the Magnetic Probe, including the magnet. The difference was end of the carbide tip.
This one had a parallel shaft tip, perhaps 1/8 in length. This small tip fit perfectly inside a drill hole. I remember it was advertised as fitting into drill holes.
It would create great bulls eyes. The probes with the tapered ends may bottom out on the top of the drill hole rather than at the bottom of the drill hole.
When taped, this will cause damage at the surface of the glass. This probe with the parallel tip eliminated this problem.
It was a great tool.

I'm hoping that someone may also have this tool and know where I can buy a replacement. I just received 3 probes from Delta, but none of them are the correct one.
Looking at Liquid Resins site, their probe now looks the same as what Delta offers.
Thanks
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Looking for a Probe

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

Have you tried Delta's slide hammer for just tapping really good ones?
screenman

Post by screenman »

Slide hammer all the way, brilliant piece of kit.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

I as well use a slide hammer everyday and I mean everyday but i use a probe to flex with and line up a repair if needed.I would like to fine this probe local.Mine is the one where it breaks down and you can put the pointed in backwards.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Go to general tools inc and look for machinist scribers # 81 83 84 and I think this might be what you are looking for. I do recommend the slide hammer as I use one nearly every day. Of course I can't be seen as impartial here as I invented it in the first place.

If you need to make the tip of the slide hammer thinner, just chuck it in your dremel drill and hold it against a sharpening stone while spinning until you get the taper that you would like.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Nomad, all respect to you sir. It is a great piece of kit and I know plenty of people who feel the same.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

Jonnyques
I have what you are talking about. About 3 - 4" long 1/8 diam. and the tip has been turned down to .035 at the end ===. Do you have a friend with a drill press or Metal lathe you can use and an old Car antenna? Cut it to the length you like, Chuck it in the drill and get a couple hand files and fine sand paper and turn one or two out... That is white metal. Hard as hell, will last for ever.

I also made one out of a point from one of my steel tip darts and turned it down to .025 for my small drill bits. That one is 2'" in length..

Time and material is free....

If I can make what I need, I do.
I am now looking for a Jewelers lathe to make my own darts to my specs.
Just Chippen Away
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Thanks for the kind words screenman!
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

Thanks All.
Guess I'm going to try and make one or buy a slide punch.
Liquid Resins emailed me back. They said they had them specially made in a bulk order. They have no more available.
It was great tool. Sucks it was in my kit when it was stolen.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I have made lots of stepped punches like you describe, but I have not needed any since buying the slide hammer. I would say for the incredibly low price it is a no brainer not to have one in your tool box, even the new guys never chip the glass when using it, which cannot be said for when they were using the other method.