Coitster marketing techniques Work!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Mobile Care

Post by Mobile Care »

I just started using Coitsters marketing techniques and it works great. I do a lot of work for car lots but I only get $25 per chip, although I do good volume. I went out to some offices in my area and told them I was fixing a chip next door and I noticed that one of there cars had a chip and I could fix it and it will most likely be free. Well I don
glassdoctor

Hmmmm....

Post by glassdoctor »

You have a good idea with the vin etching service. But I think you will find a couple "issues" that kill it.

The problem is that most insurance companies are set up (networks) to handle glass claims without even involving agents.

Even when agents are in the middle of it, they are supposed to be neutral. In theory, the agent does not steer customers to a particular shop, or recomend shop X over shop Y and Z.

Maybe you can work around this with some open-minded companies, and especially with individual local agents. It would be a good deal for their customers. But, we know that insurance companies are not the most logical or customer-friendly organizations in the world.

You know what, you got me thinking... maybe you could go about it backwards. Sneek in the back door...

What about selling the VIN etching to the insurance agents. I don't know how much VIN etching costs, but could you offer them a killer deal for their customers? If they then "market" the service to their customers, you have a huge potential for getting wsr jobs when you do the Vin etching. And, you get paid for both jobs. This may have the same problems as I metioned above, but it's outside the cut-throat world of auto glass.

Do insurance companies endorse or offer incentives for VIN etching? How much do you normally charge for etching?
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

Quite an excellent idea, Glassdoctor, and for a number of reasons.

The back-door approach which you referred to is what I'm addressing.

It is a good walk-in entree to agents aside from w/s repair--the ultimate goal but vastly over-rated today.

Ho-hum. Don't have time to talk. Leave your card, Goodbye.

Secondly, many insurance companies already offer premium discounts to those who have their vehicle's window's vin -number etched as they do regarding alarm systems.

Thirdly it sppeals to the agent who is always under pressure to improve his loss/claim ratio which fact should prick his ears up unless he is a blubbering idiot.

Finally and my most favorite subject of all time, it will allow you to circumvent the network "leads" that will hardly ever wear out the ring bell on your business telephone.

How about some feedback from you, Mobile Care as to what system you use that takes only ten minutes. Is this an acid-etch?
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Jason,
I am very happy to hear that those techniques worked for you. A lot of people read that post I made about how I do it and try to over analize it and think that I am not telling the whole truth. It really is that simple as you can now see. Keep up the good work.
David
Coitster
Glass
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

coitster, you can bet that I am going to try it too. I can see that it's very simple and effective. Thanks for the good tips. I haven't done it yet, but when the weather truns around here and the chips are dry...

I am curious if you get many people upset for snooping around their cars or buisness. I know some receptionists can be pretty tough cookies... ever have somebody try to call you on your bluff and ask " oh, who's car did you do?" or " which buisness do they work for" you know, just to test you...

I know of a lot of small office complexes that have parking areas in from of each tenant, so I am trying to think of an approach where it's a stretch to claim I happen to see this car's chip because I was there doing another job... I need to go scout for some appropriate hunting ground.

Man, you know how many times I could have tried to pick up extra jobs while working in a big company's lot? That should be ideal, when you really are at a buisness to fix a car. Take note of a couple other nice cars with chips, and ask about them while you are there...
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Hey GlassDoctor,
It's interesting you bring that up. I almost never have have anyone call me on it. They are usualy so happy that I stopped by that it never comes up. As for people getting upset for someone snooping around, just use some common sence when looking at cars. Don't go up and touch them, don't stand there and stair at the car. Also make sure you wear a shirt that says who you are. If you do that you should be fine. :)
David
Coitster
Glass
larry

Money is great, but...

Post by larry »

What vin etching system do you use? Larry
Mobile Care

Post by Mobile Care »

I get the stencils, acid cream and warning decales from Auto Etch Inc.
I just use a old manual typewriter to type the VIN number on the stencils. You don't have to buy all the software and a printer to do it.

Thanks,
Jason Hatchett
Mobile Care
optic-kleer

Free After Rebate*

Post by optic-kleer »

We have been VIN etching cars in the UK for years. It really works in generating windscreen repair business. We go in quite low on the price (around $20) and whilst on the car check for windscreen damage. Most customers will have their stonechips repaired at the same time as the etching. Etching works as an "ice breaker" and gets the customer on your side. The fact that the police encourage and recommend it also help you to get sales. Door to door canvassing works well with etching. Target a housing estate and go door to door. Do the etching and pick up the repairs from it. 18 years of practice tells me it works and it will work for you too.
The etching system we use is a Pro-Etch set up, using aluminium oxide. Very neat, very quick, completely mobile. All you need is a compressor.
You can Vin etch a vehicle in 7 minutes start to finish.
The Pro-etch vin etch system retails at $400 and is engineered here in the UK. If anyone would like one then please get in touch and I will give more details. We have been Vin etching cars for 18 years, even before we started Optic-Kleer and know the market inside out and believe me this the best available, and at a brilliant price too!.
CPR

Post by CPR »

Just a thought, I was talking to a friend who has an independant insurance business. He said he would not promote the vin etching idea because someone could get a key cut for the car using the vin #.