Repair vs. Replacement

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
glass_meister
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by glass_meister »

This is a continuation of another thread on network questions that will veer off the main subject, so I thought it warranted it's own heading. There may be other posts along this line, but alas...I didn't have the time to look. Maybe some will find it useful.

The subject came about on how some may use the repair business to "switch" some to a replacment scenario in an underhanded way.

While I am sure it happens in a greater volume than most would think. There are some things to combat those who would practice this game. AutoEgo probably knows how this works, since he is an ex-replacment guru gone repair.

Here is some inside view into the replacement world:

Presently, there are a slew of would be auto glass replacement guys that are also abusing the industry and giving the "qualified replacment shops" a bad name. They work out of their truck or van. Come into an area signed up with a network or two. They slam in the glass with out any regard for the quality of the installation or the safety of the vehicle's occupants. They can afford to install a WS for about $80 above their cost or less. Sometimes they work an area just after a storm, sometimes they don't have insurance, sometimes they don't intend on standing behind their workmanship. They are just in it for the day.

So I can sympathize with WSR techs that are truly trying to build their craft into a repspectable industry. The auto glass industry is just now getting there after decades of trying. The new ANSI/AGRSS standard has been implemented and we are seeing more and more shops stepping up to the plate and saying, "we will be accountable to each other and our customers"

As a result of the steering, the poor installations, the high cost and the vehicle being down for a period of time, WSR will always be a cost advantage and much less of a headache to the consumer.

That is the way I approach business. What is in the best interest of my customer. I want that customer to see me today as well as a year from now when they have another glass need (be it WSR, Auto glass replacment or a new shower door). I want that customer happy.

Now onto the meat of this post.

Approach your customer with this in mind.

Safety and Value.

Can I repair that WS and save the customer the headache of having their vehicle tied up for 1 to 6 hours (replacment requires a "safe drive away time")? Can I save them the risk of having a WS leak due to a rust problem on their pinchweld?

Or does the WS need replacing vs. repair due to the break in the critical vision area, or delamination issues progressing? If it needs replacing, how can I ensure that I minimize the customers requirement to fight the insurance networks and logistics of getting to and from home or work.

So as a repair tech, you will always have an advantage. Less impact to the customer, most the time "free", to have the process performed and the original factory retention system is still intact.

But whoa to the unscrupulous repair techs that plague the WSR industry also for making everything a repairable WS. This industry has quality requirements also.

So as you can see - alwarys repair if possible and replace when needed. Don't try to hoodwink the consumer - they know more than you give them credit for. Approach everything in a professional manner. You may never know how the word of mouth goes. And all too often you will never know when it is too late.

Tom
It is simple.....grow or die.
desertstars

Repair vs. Replacement

Post by desertstars »

That's a hell of a good post, Tom.

I only wish that every replacement-driven company had the same philosophy as you.

However, to expect that is to expect the impossible and I am well aware of that impossibility.

It will never happen.

There will always be a vast majority of replacement companies who look at repair leads as nothing more than an entree into a replacement.

Bait and switch, if you will.

I take minor issue with one point and it addresses the reason many, not all of us, are in this business of repair in the first place.

We are dedicated to contributing to the environment in our own small way.

Those of us who believe that have no need to legitimize our business. Our business was legitimized the first time a windshield was saved and didn't end up in a dumpster.

Most of us probably also recycle aluminum and turn off lights when we leave a room.

And, yes Tom, repair techs most likely do at times repair dings in the so-called "critical" area of the w/s swipe. I do it all the time. I think that area was considered taboo using an arbitrary yardstick from the IGA in the first place.

How could a repair in the w/s swipe area of a passenger side possibly affect anything at all unless there is some insinuation that the w/s integrity has been destroyed?

A visual question, perhaps?

So is a smudge of pidgeon crap or leakage from a mulberry tree.

And how will they attempt to control us when laminated side and back-lites start appearing on American cars?

Seems to me it is nothing more than a replacement opportunity to restrict our area of repair and increase their replacements.

As far as I know, there has never been a lawsuit concerning w/s integrity regarding a repair either within or without those parameters.

If you truly believe in the concept of saving a windshield before replacing it at the least provocation, I salute you.

In that case, by all means, I hope that you remain on the forum and continue to input us with honest opinions as to how replacement/repair and repair/only businesses can work in concert.
mafsu

networks? Again?

Post by mafsu »

Here is some inside view into the WSR World:

There are currently windshield replacement guys who work for large national chains that carry wsr kits in their vans, have had no training in wsr, and provide substandard (and that is being very complimentary) repairs. I know this because more than a dozen times these same windshield replacement guys have approached me. They are astonished at the repairs I am able to make. They then ask how it is that I can do this?, what equipment I use?, how long it took me to learn how to do these repairs?. Usually they have much more expensive equipment than I do. They are told to put resin in the injector, place it over the break, and apply pressure with the injector. I can't blame the techs for this they are only doing what they were trained to do. I blame the companies they work for. They give wsr a bad name. My biggest obstacle in getting new clients is the "I had such and such perform a repair on my old car and those repairs don't work and they look horrible" scenario. This is a much worse problem for wsr than the fly by night guys you speak of. I apologize if you feel this is an attack on you, it is not. Just thought you might want a peek at things from my perspective.
Repair1

Post by Repair1 »

Tom

Well said but of course I need to through in my 2 cents worth. :D

I myself came from the Glass Industry let me give you my insiders opinion remember this is only my opinion. I agree with most of everything you have stated. However being involved in Sales, Operations, and a Store Owner in the past I know what I
sydfloyd44

Post by sydfloyd44 »

I have to pipe in here.

First of all, don't get me wrong! I agree with what is being stated. I also happen to work for a moderate sized, independently owned company that does both repair and replacement. One of the differences is the fact that our company STARTED as a repair company and repair continues to be the root of the company. Many things are done including keeping repair techs and replacement techs as separated as possible. When a customer calls for what is qualified on the phone as a repair, a REPAIR ONLY tech is sent to the job. This tech is paid ONLY to repair the w/s. If it needs replaced, the customer is then rescheduled to where a REPLACEMENT tech is sent to the job. Never are they mixed!!! Now, at any time at any of our shops, could a windshield be replaced when it could *possibly* be repaired, sure.. Most of time is a matter of educated the customer and allowing their decision.
Another difference is the fact that all of our 100+ employees understand that we REPAIR BEFORE REPLACE. It is just engraved into our minds and it is what we do remembering that BOTH are profitable!! We do not just replace a windshield because of $$ or anything else. PERIOD!! As a matter of fact, I am thinking about most of our TV commercials we run and virtually all of our commercials are about REPAIR!!! The ones about replacement are related to how we do SAFE installs, mainly relating to the winter months.
When you talk about repair ratio's, my question is this.... What % are you talking about. I know that in our company, when we get below 45%, the bells start going off wondering if something is wrong or if windshields just happen to be splitting out due to weather, etc. (that is something that we talk about "behind closed doors")
Again, I agree with what is being said here and it is TRULY an important issue! Just be careful when you include *ALL* replacement companies.
OK, OK, OK, I am done ranting. Just remember that our company is not the only one out there that runs like this. Making such large decisions as "breaking up repair/replacement companies" has a TREMENDOUS impact on those of use that are HONESTLY dedicated to repairing windshields, but are prepared to reap the profits of replacement when it IS necessary.
Ridge Runner

Post by Ridge Runner »

glass_meister, Thanks so much for this post. My first inclination was to jump right in with both feet,however decided to read through all responses first. All I can say is "dang you WSR(R=repair) guys are good". sydfloyd44, your company has a very ethical approach to repair/replacement. I commend your efforts. It seems to me that ALL the folks who contribute here have a desire to be the best they can at what they do.
Repair1

Post by Repair1 »

Sydfloyd44

Please don
StarQuest

My network experiences

Post by StarQuest »

Dear Glass_Meister,

Once again you've ignited some fire on this forum! Some simply questions for you Tom!!! Do you really want to shine for your company as a manager and improve your auto glass ratio? If so, convince them to spend some dollars and get you certified in both glass replacement and repairs! Until that's accomplished, I feel your not going to have any total control over this mobile glass repair, replacement situation. If you can get these certifications, now at least you'll you be in a training position to help out your company with some professional results.

Your right, not every glass repair person or glass replacement company provides quality results. I hate to admit this but personally, I'm better qualified and certified to replace glass then repair. Problem is that I hate cutting out shields when I know in my heart I can fix them. Glass replacement for me holds no new challenges, whereas repair to me continues to always be challenging! I just keep getting better at it and continue to save my customers and accounts more money!!!!
That is very rewarding for me personally!

Something else I picked up from your previous post! Somehow you aligned yourself with AutoEgo as a replacement guru. Nothing against AutoEgo....but for gods sake, he never mention anything about replacing glass!!! A sales manager typically sales and doesn't install.

I welcome any opposition to my post and opinions today!

That's how we learn from one another.
glass_meister
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Another Newbie

Post by glass_meister »

Some good replies here.

As far at the certification, Starquest - I wish I could endulge my desire and do every repair I could myself. However, time does not permit that endeavor. That is the reason I am so interested in the views of this forum. It gives me good information to base a decision upon. YES - we will be setting up a dedicated effort on repair and will be looking at a seperate work force and trainging for those techs. I see the merit of doing so. Sydfloyd - I would like to talk more in depth with you.

Desertstar - question for you.

You mentioned that you do the repairs within the W/S wiper area. When I mentioned "critical viewing area" , I was referring to that 8" x 10" area just in front of the drivers view.

Somewhere in my travels, I heard that most states have laws on the books about performing repairs in that area of the WS. It has something to do with light refraction at night on the scar and distracting the driver. It seems to have merit, but I have never looked up those laws. As a result, I do not perform repairs that may have a safety impact on my customer. Kinda like doing a half way brake job or letting a customer go prior to the safe drive away time on a replacment.

You have to make a stance somewhere and I tend to fail to the conservative stance when it comes to liability issues for myself personally, my company and my customer. I am not calling your practice into question, since I will do a repair in the wiper blade area if it is not directly in front of the steering wheel viewing area. What I am asking you is;

1)Do most WSR techs still perform the repair not matter the location in the shield?

2)Have you ever heard of this same restriction in your state?

3)What is the validity of the safecty concern on light refraction?

I know there is a lot of discussion currently on spalling and long term effect of a repair when moisture is present and how it affects the strength of the shield in a crash situation. I see the spalling issue as bogus and an attempt to throw dung around where it doesn't need to land. But I do see the virtue of line of sight vision and refraction.

You wouldn't necessarily leave bird dung on your windshield indefinately without some day cleaning it. It is a nuisance to drive at twighlight with a dirty windshield. Same goes with a scar directly in front of you.

I am interested in yours as well as others on this subject.

Tom
It is simple.....grow or die.
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

I will repair damage in the acute area of the windshield only if the finished result won't impare the driver's vision.