Anyone do $15 WS Repairs?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
SeeClearly

Re: Anyone do $15 WS Repairs?

Post by SeeClearly »

DavidS:

First of all, I was simply stating my experiences with people in our area that I am familiar with, not passing judgement on them being formally trained or not. As I stated before, what I have found (through discussions with some of these individuals) is that they have had no training whatsoever. This is not a judgement, simply facts that I have found in my area. It is not the training that is an issue, since I believe that basics of windshield repairs is not difficult and I do not believe formal training is right for everyone based on reasons you mentioned such as cost and availability. It goes beyond that though. There is a lot of good information on the windshield repair processes, equipment, materials and such out there in cyber world. With the internet and and all the modes of communications today, there is always a way to gather and research information on the industry. There are many companies out there that will travel to do training for potential technicians in certain regions without cost to the trainee. Unfortunately though, through my experiences and discussions I can tell that they have done little to educate themselves (either by formal training OR research) on the process of windshield repairs. I am not judging these people, simply stating what I have seen in industry based in my area. There are many that do a great job (formally trained or not), but we have seen many hacks...(as someone else stated) here today, gone tomorrow. It is life....NBD. As I stated, I am not worried about these people as it is about 1-2% of our business. Yes, I am curious when I see another one crop up and see who is behind it, but with it being such a small part of our business, we lose no sleep. I do though feel for the consumer who gets a repair that is less than stellar on their windshield.

In short....(lol), I do believe that people who want to do windshield repairs should research it throughly before getting into it, gather the appropriate information regarding windshield repair techniques and equipment, and practice, practice, practice. Asking questions and seeking advise while learning is a valued thing which is what this forum allows. (Thank you DK)

As for the insurance, I hope that my words did not criticize those who do not have insurance as many do not. I simply meant that when doing the sales end of the business, having all the insurance in place helps with the sell. Too often, many customers feel as if the business is not legit if the people do not carry insurance protection. This is them judging, not me :)
paulrsf
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by paulrsf »

Windshield911 wrote:I'm actually being sarcastic about the idiot part
:D
Paul R.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I have been catching some of the Houston $15 guy's videos on youtube. It looks like he starts drilling more if a chip doesn't fill in within about 15 seconds.. You can mention that to your customers, he just drills all over it to make it fast! I don't think it's too bad a business model myself for a ghetto area. :)
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Mr Bill »

When you pay peanuts; you get monkeys.
screenman

Post by screenman »

But maybe not as much bank as he could then, maybe he is running a WSR charity. $150 per day is peanuts compared to what the potential of this trade is, some people just know how to repair glass but not run a business.

I have known many busy people get into money problems, have you? often this is down to not charging enough and not understanding the costs involved in doing each job.
salvatoreali

Post by salvatoreali »

Never heard on anyone here in Houston that cheap.Even my commercial accounts pay way
more. Silly to even care about that level of competitor.

What's the deal now with Farmers and Allstate requiring an adjustor.
nixquax

Post by nixquax »

Quality takes time, and time is $$$. 8-)
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

This has been an interesting topic and discussion bringing out differing opinions. Goes back a long ways.
Best advice I guess is for each to follow their their own dreams. In other words "what ever floats your boat"
My opinion for what it may be worth is five jobs a day at $65.00 or $325.00 makes more sense of than 20 at $15.00 or $300.00. The cost of resin is not much but still a cost of doing business.
It might be this old man has gotten lazy.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Around here we have the £15 guy, I personally have never met him, come to think of it nobody I actually know has ever met him. Maybe he is not really there but happens to be a bargaining tool some business people use as a bargaining tool.

I am sure some of you may have used the I can buy it cheaper elsewhere line when making a purchase even when you had not made any other real research into the matter.

Anyway guys, find your own USP there is no need to use that of maybe a fictitious being.

Keep selling, or stop growing. Quiet time = selling time.
puka pau

Post by puka pau »

Mr. $15 was around before this thread began in September 2011 and according to 14u2ponder he's still here. Which indicates to me that he understands a few things about business in general (and P&L and business models in particular) that many (but not all) of the respondents to this thread just don't seem to get.
High price doesn't guarantee quality just as low price doesn't guarantee lack of same. Not everybody can afford $65 or so for a repair. Mr. $15 has obviously identified a market that his competition is loath to address and consequently he probably owns that market realizing that a core business tenet is to make your product or service attractive to as wide a prospective customer base as possible. There are more Mercedes owners who can afford a Ford than there are Ford owners who can afford a Mercedes. But both cars get you from point A to point B. So while the prima donnas are twiddling their thumbs waiting for the next $65 job that may happen today or maybe tomorrow or maybe the next day, Mr. $15 is out there kicking butt, taking names and taking replacement business away from Safelite by repairing everything he can get his hands on - which is pretty much the ultimate goal: repair, not replace. I think Mr. $15 is a pretty savvy guy and not full of himself like a few posters to this thread who really need to get over themselves and understand that this is W/S repair, not rocket science or fine art.

Cheers;

Puka Pau