Plate Glass Repairs

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Plate Glass Repairs

Post by GlassStarz »

Dont walk away from those BB gun breaks with the current economy many buisness not only dont want to pay hundreds or thousands for a new Plate they cant. One of my customers called recently the small 30x36 plates were going to be 700 bucks each some of the big ones are thousands the repairs are easy and easy to find the customers :D if you dont know how Delta and LR both have some easy how to info
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Plate Glass Repairs

Post by just chippen away »

I have been doing them for years, But make sure you charge extra for running back and forth from inside and outside.... That part is time consuming.... Worn the cutomer that you will be making a chalk board sound scraping off the extra resin... It was funny one my first job yr's back when I forgot to worn them.......... All the ladys had to cover there ears or go running out of the office.... OPP's Lesson learned... They had 5 or more bullet holes to fill in one office...
Just Chippen Away
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

If you use a new blade and hold at the proper angle it does not make a "chalkboard" scraping sound so no need to WARN anyone.
t4k

Post by t4k »

clearquest wrote:If you use a new blade and hold at the proper angle it does not make a "chalkboard" scraping sound so no need to WARN anyone.
:shock: :D
chipfix

Post by chipfix »

I have used many different brands of resins/pit fillers and they all shrink and discolor over time. (resin exposed to air/surface resin)
This is not a big problem on most windshield chips where there is not much surface glass missing,but when there is a big disk of glass missing
your repair might look great but it will eventually look like sh*t and will likely fall out over time.
Go back 6/12 month's later and take a look...
If you can live with that? take the money and run :)...not me.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Keep in mind a windshield takes a lot more abuse than a store front and there is typically only an 1/8" hole on the outside of the glass so that is the only thing exposed to the elements at all is that area, which takes 2 minutes to resurface if necessary. I went by my old glass shop the other day and the plate glass repairs we did over 20 years ago are still there and still looked pretty good. I've done plate glass repairs in the local Harley dealership windows, local restaurants and various other types of businesses over the years and have yet to have a complaint.

Just like windshield repairs, you have to properly set the customer's expectations because you will still see a plate glass repair when you are finished. Sometimes customers don't like what I tell them but after they check the price to have new glass installed in a storefront they generally decide they can live with the cosmetic blemish. It often saves the customer hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars.

My guarantee is the same as with windshield repairs. If you don't like it you don't pay and if it cracks out you get a refund. I do however charge about double what I charge for windshield repairs because of the extra cure time. Typically the plate glass we repair is 3/6" to 1/4" thick so we allow for additional cure time.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
paulrsf

Post by paulrsf »

Brent -

Does Delta Kits have any on line demo videos related to plate glass repair? Do you any material available on the repair process for plate glass?

Thanks -
Paul
Paul R.
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

At this time we don't have any videos of a plate glass repair so I emailed you instructions on the process.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
autocosmetics

Post by autocosmetics »

Korey,

Could you email me the instructions as well? I've had some local businesses inquire about it recently, but I couldn't find any good information online. Is the plate glass resin a thicker resin?
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

I just emailed you the instructions. The plate resin is formulated for filling very large chips or voids in glass such as those found in residential and commercial plate glass. It is thicker and the viscosity is 4500cps.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.