ABC News finds unethical pricing.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Glassdoc
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

ABC News finds unethical pricing.

Post by Glassdoc »

A certain National Company got caught today price gouging. Here is the link: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=8431980

What are your thoughts? Do you charge extra money depending on the zip code or type of vehicle it is? I've always charged the same when it comes to a repair. Whether its a 73 Pinto or a 2012 Mercedes Benz. Makes me just shake my head and wonder, why..
bill lambeth

Re: ABC News finds unethical pricing.

Post by bill lambeth »

That goes on in all idustries.I come from the construction industry in a fairly big city and I know that not everybody pays the same but I am not saying it is right but it is just a fact of life.You wouldnt want to leave money sitting at the table that you could have put in your pocket.
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

True, if the customer lived outside the 20 mile radious maybe a few bucks for gasoline. But, this vehicle was taken to Safelite for a replacement. To their shop. And based on where the owner put down they lived (by zip code) the price changed from $30-$80. That's not good business sense, I don't care who you are.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Maybe they give discount to people from poorer area's.
mend master
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by mend master »

Around here, we call that "gouging". Yes, it happens. Yes, it is unethical. The problem is that since Safelite, the "industry leader" :roll: has such a prominent place in the market the rest of us get judged by what they do.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Great story.
You all seem to focus on the price quoted (I know, the topic is about just that), but why isn't anybody referring to that easy-to-repair chip?
That piece of glass should NOT be replaced.

Surprisingly...(NOT) the story tellers at HQ instantly came up with a thick-fog-cloud-story, a lousy explanation, they are very good when it comes to that.
They are specialized in masking anything close to the truth.
SeeClearly

Post by SeeClearly »

Lol....good old Safelite at it again. Does it really surprise anyone? In saying that though, it happens all the time with insurance companies. Your rates are based on where you live. Less exposure (ie. less theft) = lower rates, high exposure (high theft) = higher rates. Same product right? I admit this isn't exacly the same, but similar thought process. Same with gas prices right? I can drive 2 mile and find $0.25 differences in pricing. Unfortunately, it is the world we live in, and not enough people stand up and voice their opinion on what is right and wrong....thus it continues. I have an interesting question. If the "average guaranteed invoicing" scheme was uncovered by the media, I wonder how this would go over with the public? :o
Windshield911
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Windshield911 »

Frank EU wrote:Great story.
You all seem to focus on the price quoted (I know, the topic is about just that), but why isn't anybody referring to that easy-to-repair chip?
That piece of glass should NOT be replaced.
That's the first thing I thought of watching it.
screenman

Post by screenman »

We have got so used to them not repairing or doing so to an extremely low quality you lot will in time. Pricing I know for sure not all my customers pay the same amount, bill em till they hollar and back it down a dollar.
t4k

Post by t4k »

I have wholesale and retail pricing. If the retail repair has a out of range drive for me, I add a trip charge.