what number of repairs should be my goal for this year ?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
justdoit

Post by justdoit »

To the guys that have been in the business for some time, what kinda percentage of repairs per population are you doing ?
Example: If your area or county has 150,000 people are you doing 1% or 1500 repairs a year ? I'm just wondering what kinda numbers to shoot for. I also have to say this forum has been excellent !
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Man, there is no way someone can tell you even a ballpark figure of what you SHOULD be doing or should EXPECT to do based on population. If it was like that you just move to a huge market and money would rain down on you. (:

Literally there are a hundred variables that must be considered. Fleet or Retail, your marketing techniques, determination, work ethic, luck, weather, competition,.....

I must say that generally speaking, 1500 repairs per year is a lot, regardless of how big your market is. That is 30 repairs per week with two weeks off. Assuming that's mostly fleet or discounted repairs, average $30 ea. would be $45,000 per year. If you are doing mostly retail repairs, maybe $50 average, it's $75,000

Feel very fortunate if you do this many... even at $30. It's a good goal and it's possible in your size market, if you can become the "man" there. I would guess there is not enough fleet and dealer work alone to get that much, but a combination of fleet and retail, maybe.

$.02
justdoit

Post by justdoit »

Those numbers were an example. how do you gauge your numbers unless you know what others are doing ? My question is simple, how many repairs are being done, what's the population of your area and with how much competition ? thanks
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Ok, but

I don't count cars , but I know I did over 2000 last year. My area has maybe 400,000 pop. But that's a lot of cars and took me years to build up to that. I do mostly dealerships. If you do retail, it would be nearly impossible to do that many, regardless of your market size, but you make more per job. In my early years I did maybe 700-800 per year. So, consider that too. I have been able to triple that now.

We don't know if you will be able to get fleets or dealers, but if you are in a market of 150,000 or more, then you could try going business to business and sell insurance jobs like Coitster. That can happen ovenight. Other marketing methods either arn't very effective or take a lot of money and time to work.

Are you thinking yellow pages? road side tent? Dealers? Might be able to give you a better idea of a goal if we know more.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

Doit
I think every area is different with so many variables rural areas like mine have a large percentage of dirt roads and spread a great deal of gravel in the winter resulting in a high percentage of potential customers other city areas have such traffic conjestion that driving conditions dont bring the speeds that pick up the rock as often. My point is it would be impossible to give a number of jobs per capita. That said I think salesmanship and drive are the main factors in sucess more so than ability A good salesperson with average talents can suceed in a area saturated with repair guys when maybe the expert technician who cant sell wouldnt. So I think the answer is expect to do enough to make a living 10 insurance jobs per week is $500 if thats what you need to survive then work torward that goal myself I need more than that im used to making 70k per year as a car salesman so although im at the $500 level im not happy I guess its all relative. Did I make any sence?

"If you can remember the 70s you wernt there"
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

Glassdoctor and GlassStarz said it all.

There is no realistic way to gauge repair potential simply because of the myriad of variables.

It is easier to determine what you NEED to earn and work toward that goal rather than setting a goal based on some perceived potential or hazy limitations.

Suffice to say that the business IS out there. Consequently, it becomes a matter of how VIGOROUSLY one pursues that business that determines success or failure rather than basing projections on invalid input.

At least I think so, anyway.
AutoEgo

Post by AutoEgo »

I was planning on this being my first full week in the field and really wanted to put some cash in the bank. Got a late start on Monday after taking care of some last minute insurance and credit union issues. I worked 2.5 hours and made $140.00. I didn't really even try to make it. It just happened! I was in Kinkos making copies. While the machine was running I introduced myself to the staff and gave them my card. Got my first insurance job! It was that easy. I left there and picked my wife up for lunch. After lunch she wanted to go to Hallmark. There was a Kramer Tire next door. Walked over, introduced myself took my wife back to her office and then proceeded to go back to Kramer and do 2 chips on the company Focus and 2 cash jobs for employees while I was there. Today I took my Nationwide agent to lunch for a bit of networking. I noticed He had a chip in his Sable. We got done with lunch went back to his office. 35 minuted later, I made 60 bucks. I left there and went by my local crack dealers place (AKA Where I buy all my race car parts from) Ended up fixing 2 of the delivery trucks tonight and I'm going back tomorrow to fix another delivery truck and 2 employees cars. I think what I'm getting at here is ASK and Ye SHALL RECEIVE! I can't wait to see what I can do in my first full week.

Sean
AutoEgo

Post by AutoEgo »

DOn't judge the market! The market is what you make of it, period! If you see someone getting into a car with a star don't be afraid to introduce yourself. Every parking lot I go into I feel surrounded by potential clients. This market is wide open for those of us with a creative marketing mind.

Sean
desertstars

What I was trying to say was...

Post by desertstars »

Precisely, AutoEgo. (Shouldn't that really be autoEGO?)

Ask and you shall receive.

We are all surrounded by potential clients.

It's not a matter of yellow page advertising.

It IS a matter of awareness and eyesight and a proactive, vigorous check of our immediate surroundings spiced with ample amounts of follow-through.

Good job, AutoEgo. You not only made money but you also saved the energy necessary to manufacture more windshields.

To you "justdoit" who posed the original question.

Justdoit.