Where'd my pit go?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Where'd my pit go?

Post by just chippen away »

I have two different pit fillers based on the temp I am working in. one cures faster that the other, but when cured they are BOTH just as hard... I also have been in this business for a verry long time.....
That bottle you say "Super hard"? Sounds like a good selling point to sell their product....
If you prep your pit properly it should stay in the void.
Just Chippen Away
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

"If you prep your pit properly it should stay in the void."

Well I did try and say that earlier in an 18 line post, many thanks for confirming my point.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Doing repairs in GB you might get away with the one try doing them in a place where it gets to -40f and as hot as 110 during the year shrink and swell something has to give and often the pit filler falls out simple fact :?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

GlassStarz wrote:Doing repairs in GB you might get away with the one try doing them in a place where it gets to -40f and as hot as 110 during the year shrink and swell something has to give and often the pit filler falls out simple fact :?
I was trying to stay out of this one but you are incorrect...that is not a simple fact. I started doing repairs in Eastern Montana where the temps also ranged from -40 in the winter to 110+ in the summer. I only used one pit resin and my pits did not fall out...ever.

Most technicians prefer a hard resin for a pit filler as it does not scratch or weather as quickly as a softer resin. A soft acrylic will show signs of wear faster than a hard acrylic. Now that is a fact that is very easy to prove! If you choose to use a softer resin for pit filling that is your business, but it has nothing to do with pits falling out.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Ricersux

Post by Ricersux »

I need to rephrase my original post because it sounds like I am having this issue a lot and that is not the case. In fact after thinking about it more, I have only had 2 pits fall out from repairs that I performed in the past several years. I have however repaired several others that have had the pit fall out...and these are the calls I have been receiving lately, to fix other peoples repairs. I guess I should have been a little bit more specific but I was looking for answers as to what things could be causing these issues and how to avoid any comebacks in the future. For the record I use Delta Kits products, procedures and recommendations. I use a moisture evaporator on 9 out of 10 jobs and I also use a mirror on the inside 8-)
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Eric, when you say "fell out", what exactly are you referring to. Is "all" of the pit resin missing? Hydrophobic coatings will make it difficult for the pit resin to stick to the glass but you should see that problem immediately so I'm assuming you have something else going on. Sometimes a rock will hit the same spot or the owner will dig into the pit while scraping ice from the windshield, but in either of those cases it would be a gouge in the pit resin, it would not "all" come out. Even if you dig around the edges of the pit area on a cured break with a probe you should not be able to get the cured pit resin to pop out in one piece.

If "all" of the pit resin is coming out something is very wrong. Contaminated resin is a possibility I suppose, but if that were the case the problem would likely be more consistent. If you think there is even a remote chance that the resin is the problem we will be happy to replace it free of charge, but I really don't think that is the problem.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Ricersux

Post by Ricersux »

Brent I do not feel as though it is an issue with your products. You are correct, the pit has not entirely fallen out but gouged and there's a definte void in the pit. Im beginning to think that an ice scraper might have caught the edge and screwed up the pit. To fix it I cleaned any looses resin from the pit, apply fresh resin and cure for 5 minutes....works like a charm.
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I understand, just making sure you know you always have the option of exchanging resin if you feel it is not performing correctly. Sometimes you just have to rule out all the variables.

You may have already done this, but I like to use a drop of MagniBond in the pit prior to applying the pit resin when re-surfacing an older pit area that is showing signs of wear. The thinner resin fills in the tiny scratches in the cured resin and glass for a better cosmetic appearance upon completion.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Brent that is a trick I use also, however the thing I do as well with all pits is too make sure that I have not just floated pit fill on top of the normal resin, then as you scrape you would be down to the normal resin straight away. Does that make sense it has been a long hard day here.