Where'd my pit go?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Ricersux
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Where'd my pit go?

Post by Ricersux »

I have had a few customers lately report that the pits were falling out of my repairs. There seems to be no rhyme or reason either. Any suggestions to help insure this won't happen in the future?
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana
screenman

Re: Where'd my pit go?

Post by screenman »

More information needed.

Resin used.
Conditions.
Type of damage.
Technique.
Ricersux

Post by Ricersux »

I use Delta Kits products and techniques. This latest call about a pit falling out was from a repair I performed in 2010....so I don't recall the weather.
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Windshield911
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Windshield911 »

What is a pit falling out?
screenman

Post by screenman »

I used to get this happening with other resins but never Delta.

Here is my process to see if you have missed something or do it different.

1. Clean pit and rough up any smooth surface, for this I use my drill as a powered scribe. I do not enlarge to pit but just use the drill at an angle to remove debris etc. I have always found this more accurate than digging around with a scribe.

2. Dry out and of course cool down, both properly.

3. Fill damage.

4. Part cure

5. Here is where I may vary, I very gently and extremely lightly wipe out pit, just one quick sweep with a paper towel. I do this because otherwise you will be floating your pit fill on top of normal resin, and when you scrape all that will be left is normal resin. Normal resin does not weather as well as pit fill, this is often the cause of pit failure

6. Pit fill and cure using a light.

7. Scrape using a new blade or certainly not a blunt one. When shaving I decrease the pressure the closer I come to finishing, this I find causes less stress on the pit as in trying to pull it out. Many guys are aggressive with scraping right down to the end.

8. Polish using finger only only, powered polishers create heat in one spot, not a good idea on the pit fill. OK it will expand and contract when the glass gets hot and cold but this should be at the same rate, not concentrated on the pit.

9. Wipe glass where I have worked, I do not spray cleaner directly onto the pit.

10. Write the invoice and give the customer a smile when they pay you.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Eric,

Remember you live in a very snowy and icy part of the country. Ice and snow scrapers can tear a pit fill loose or completely pull it out . Nothing you can do about this except to call it a warranty and gladly refill it for the customer.

We also have extreme temperature changes. I'm not sure the pit filler can handle 100 degree plus temperature changes- especially on larger pits. I've noticed that the repairs done in the extreme temps- hot or cold - have a better chance of losing the pit fill. I try to keep the w/s a moderate temp while curing.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

When I lived in Vermont and it would go from -40f to 90f throughout the year I found using the softer Pit Filler would solve the problem the Harder didnt like the temp changes long term 8-)
screenman

Post by screenman »

Soft pit fill? how would that stand up to the wipers, dirt etc. Sounds like snake oil to me.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Again with the Negative Screen? someone who has been doing this as long as you must know that some are Harder than others? Some actually will say something like Super Hard on the bottle try being helpful for a guy who was picked as WR person of the Year awhile back you gotta wonder what happened to you? Look hard in to the mirror and find that guy he is in there somewhere. Its a lot easier to be positive and helpfull try it 8-)
screenman

Post by screenman »

So my earlier post was not being helpful, come on we want a hard pit fill to stand up to everything that is thrown at it. We have some very varying weather over here but with correct preparation and the use of a quality tested rein the pit will stay in.