Alternative to capping a pit and it works

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Alternative to capping a pit and it works

Post by Nomad »

Also played with this, used cure tabs and tape and never was able to get a good enough seal on the tape. When under pressure it would lift the tab or tape and leak all the resin, and then you are not back to square one, because you have the chip partly filled and cannot expose it to UV for a cap without curing the whole thing. I even tried super glue and that didn't work either. To make this work I think from my experience one would have to have a really strong adhesive, and/or use very little pressure. Once the tape leaks because the adhesive fails to hold its all over. If you find something that works let us know, as a large pit problem is quite common and this would be a nice thing to have. Try this on a practice WS before you ever try it on a customers car.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

That's why I suggested that you cover the chip saver completely with resin. The resin not only forms a hard surface, but also keeps the edges of the chip saver from lifting and releasing. I should have emphasized the importance of making sure all of the edges are covered with resin. The other thing I neglected to mention is that you can cut the chip saver to a smaller size to minimize resin usage and make it easier to cover with the curing tab.

I will say it again, I'm not endorsing this method, just giving some helpful hints for those who choose it.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

brent, I think your last few words of that previous post says everything.
chipfix

Post by chipfix »

You can make a circle around the pit with pit filler,put the tab over the pit and resin (make sure there is nowhere for air to leak out) and cure.
This will hold better than any tape.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

A curing tab peels right off of cured resin. In fact that is what it is designed to do so any pressure at all will break it loose. You also still don't get the solid surface needed to keep the injector from leaking.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
chipfix

Post by chipfix »

Brent Deines wrote:A curing tab peels right off of cured resin. In fact that is what it is designed to do so any pressure at all will break it loose. You also still don't get the solid surface needed to keep the injector from leaking.
Well it works for me,there are different forces working here. Lifting VS peeling
As for the solid surface make sure the edge of the injector seal is placed so that it is still supported by the glass around the edge of the pit.
sgearhart
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by sgearhart »

I actually performed this process twice on a used windshield and the only problem is a little air bubble in the break. Both times the surface break was larger than the injector seal and would have required capping a pit. I did not use a chip saver because that is just like using tape. I used a curing tab with two sided tape on all of one side and not just the corners. I heated up the pointed end of a paper clip with a lighter and burned a hole through the curing tab and stuck it directly on the windshield. The resin filled all of the star crack just leaving a small black air bubble close to where the break was. If anyone wants to try it and has any questions on what I did feel free to PM me. Please try this on a practice windshield.

Thanks
Last edited by Kgobin on May 21st, 2012, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed phone number
sgearhart

Post by sgearhart »

Alright, did even yet another one where the surface area was larger than the seal and this time I put a little more resin and it worked with no air bubbles, looks beautiful and didn't have to cap the pit or drill. Try some practice runs to see if this works for you too, because for me it was easy and works good and I'm sure with practice it will get even better. I used a blow dryer and the scrib to help the resin flow through the break, but it worked great. I wish I had taken a before photo, because the after photo has 90 percent improvement. Thank goodness most breaks I have seen are within the seal area and capping a pit is not needed.

Instead of using a paper clip to burn the hole into the curing tab you could use a small nail also, something that would make the hole about the size of the hole in the seal or just a wee bit smaller. This may not work so well if the break is on the curve of the glass, haven't tried one there yet. :) Happy Testing everyone.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Update. I never got a chance to repair that WS. His next door neighbor's kids shot the WS with pellet guns and had to replace the entire glass.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Where does the blow dryer come into the equation? Also this double sided tape, I take it that it is black which prevents you seeing through it. Sorry but we tried all this stuff 20+ years ago and the normal capping process with pit fill works well, and also prevents some of the pitfalls mentioned earlier.