Drilling

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
rtb
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Drilling

Post by rtb »

Had a starburst chip repaired at a local auto glass shop last Fall, which started to crack/spread about 2" last week. Another guy drilled a new hole at the end of the crack and back-filled it, but it only filled only about half way.

Is there a way to fill the rest of the crack, and is this something I could do myself? What if another hole was drilled over the part of the crack that didn't fill?
Windshield911

Re: Drilling

Post by Windshield911 »

If there is already cured resin in there from the first time it was repaired at the impact point and the tip just got filled halfway and is now cured probably not. Might just be better off leaving it how it is and hope it doesn't spread more. Then again, I would really have to look at it. Very few times, just speaking for myself, can I fix a bad repair. You can't push new resin through already cured resin and picking out a small spot to fill that resin hasn't gotten in would probably be more trouble than its worth. Like I said, hard to truly give an answer w/o seeing the chip.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

If I read you question right, it has been worked on twice already correct?
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

It would be no problem to do what you describe, worth it or not I doubt it. I would suggest you should start looking for a repair guy that can do repairs properly as you have not found one yet.

1 in every 5 repairs I do and sometimes more are making good what others have done, you have to practise the art and have a good understanding of how a break runs etc. to be successful with them, knowing what can be made better and what will not only comes from doing hundreds if not thousands of them.